No announcement yet.

The Rules for Shorter Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rules for Shorter Fighters

Everybody talks about "fighting tall" and how taller fighters should fight to maintain their reach advantage. But "fighting short" isn't talked about as much.

You hear things like...

"Stay low" or "get close/inside"....but that's about it.

That is "Fighting Short 101"...let's go to the Master's Level...

What are some additional strategies/tactics shorter fighters can use to gain an advantage?

In my opinion, the more you step up in class...the more nearly impossible it is for shorter fighters to overcome a height disadvantage.

Mayweather is a short fighter who fights tall alot! He uses the lean away and shoulder roll and head movement but he isn't crouching and bending over!!
    Fighters (short) who have great reactions and are taught how to judge distance correctly can fight in any position. Theres far to much asttention these days on "catchweights" and height!
    Ofcourse the height is an advantage most of the time on the outside and the shorter man has the advantage inside but theres so few trainers training inside techniques and for that matter how many guys are utilizing their height with laterial movement? None!
    Height is just used to step in and step back, occassionally side steps are used!

The first the shorter fighter can do is take away the taller mans jab! (if its a good one)
    Perring the jab and adding a counter punch or combination!'Slipping the jab (left/hook off it) Slipping right(right cross/ inside left hook)!! Straight drop slip and move up in his middle and throw what you see!! Attack the taller mans leads!! Same goes for his most comfortable move! Take the move away!
    To many guys try to do what they do first instead of reversing their opponents tactics and making them adjust to their second or third plan (if they have one) if they doin't their in trouble!

LaMotta and Marciano had height disadvantages all most all the time and they were very good at attacking and disarming!! Bassillo was another one who worked hard at disarming his opponents. Tyson did well at the beginning of his career attacking right through his opponents jab! When you lead set up is taken away most fighters don't have answers especially if the attack has multiple options.
    This type of fighter needs trememdous conditioning because he's bring the fight and that takes stamina and willingness! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Mayweather is a short fighter who fights tall alot! He uses the lean away and shoulder roll and head movement but he isn't crouching and bending over!!
      Fighters (short) who have great reactions and are taught how to judge distance correctly can fight in any position. Theres far to much asttention these days on "catchweights" and height!
      Ofcourse the height is an advantage most of the time on the outside and the shorter man has the advantage inside but theres so few trainers training inside techniques and for that matter how many guys are utilizing their height with laterial movement? None!
      Height is just used to step in and step back, occassionally side steps are used!

The first the shorter fighter can do is take away the taller mans jab! (if its a good one)
      Perring the jab and adding a counter punch or combination!'Slipping the jab (left/hook off it) Slipping right(right cross/ inside left hook)!! Straight drop slip and move up in his middle and throw what you see!! Attack the taller mans leads!! Same goes for his most comfortable move! Take the move away!
      To many guys try to do what they do first instead of reversing their opponents tactics and making them adjust to their second or third plan (if they have one) if they doin't their in trouble!

LaMotta and Marciano had height disadvantages all most all the time and they were very good at attacking and disarming!! Bassillo was another one who worked hard at disarming his opponents. Tyson did well at the beginning of his career attacking right through his opponents jab! When you lead set up is taken away most fighters don't have answers especially if the attack has multiple options.
      This type of fighter needs trememdous conditioning because he's bring the fight and that takes stamina and willingness! Ray
      I agree with all points...especially the last regarding conditioning. It's ****ing exhausting fighting taller opponents and having to seemingly walk through a thunderstorm of jabs. As a southpaw, the moment I started to keep my lead hand out in front in the jabbing lane, things got much easier for me because it takes away most guy's jabs.

You don't seem to be a fan of crouching and bending to get low and under punches. The alternative is a lot of slipping, which to me is more exhausting though but it does keep you in better position to step in and counter.

I think perhaps the best thing a shorter fighter can learn if they ARE fighting short, pressing the action is WHEN to step in. Tyson timed his step in the moment his opponent would throw jabs which was perfect. But if you're not quick enough, or you gas, they just take half step backs to stay out of YOUR range but on an island still in THEIR range. Being short and fighting guys who actually know how to fight tall is frustrating.

Comment

I'm a fan of whatever works! I was just pointing out other techniques instead of the crouching and bending the knees and waist to avoid shots. The reality is you need to know as many techniques and methods as possible so you can determine what works against your opponents and ofcourse what your able to perform! Cus D'Amato's methods were exhausting to perform and as you grow older its tuffer & tuffer to perform that style.
        I also prefer my shorter fighter to start pressuring his opponent immediately because you need to see if the opponent can make adjustments and you want to know this before your down 2 or 3 rounds to a tall guy who has a good jab. Pressure fighters can take a good look in the firstb round if theyr have no history or film on a guy but after that you need to get going or you'll be chasing the score cards!!! A great pressure fighter is as beautifull to watch as a fluid boxer! After all the stylings are seen its all about whose best at figuring out distances and then closing the gaps and positioning your opponent where YOU want him. Then its chess not checkers! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
          Being short and fighting guys who actually know how to fight tall is frustrating.
          Like most things in boxing... the opposite is true as well.

One of my big beefs... If you get on the inside and you're the shorter guy, then GO TO WORK... I see guys work so damned hard to get on the inside, and then just tie up, or suffocate their own punches, or get in position only to give it right back up.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
            Like most things in boxing... the opposite is true as well.

One of my big beefs... If you get on the inside and you're the shorter guy, then GO TO WORK... I see guys work so damned hard to get on the inside, and then just tie up, or suffocate their own punches, or get in position only to give it right back up.
            Fighting on the inside effectively takes a lot of practice. It's not as natural as fighting at longer range. It's something you really have to make a point to practice in sparring and I agree with Ray that it's a bit of a lost art.

Comment

Only ever sparred so far, but ive been a boxing fan my whole life, and i have to agree with DIB420, THE #1 rule for fighting short is WORK ONCE YOU GET INSIDE. Even in sparring, i see so many other guys get peppered with jabs and eat right crosses to get inside, only to curl up defensively once they get there. Way i see it, if youre inside and the talller man throws, you have him right where you want him; throw back and punish him! His punches will be weaker and yours stronger inside where the range is short. Other than that, id say practice gauging range. If you stand RIGHT outside the taller mans reach you can bob and weave past his 1-2 inside.

Just my two cents as a long time fan and newbie practicioner of the sweet science

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                Fighting on the inside effectively takes a lot of practice. It's not as natural as fighting at longer range. It's something you really have to make a point to practice in sparring and I agree with Ray that it's a bit of a lost art.
                its not as natural for you... but that doesn't mean its not a natural way to fight. First off, by agreeing with ray, you are totally correct, inside fighting is a lost art.

However, I am naturally an inside fighter, it comes very organic to me, its the outside stuff that I had to work on extensively.

With that, just remember, what you do naturally will feel natural, but that doesn't make it any more or less important to your game.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
                  its not as natural for you... but that doesn't mean its not a natural way to fight. First off, by agreeing with ray, you are totally correct, inside fighting is a lost art.

However, I am naturally an inside fighter, it comes very organic to me, its the outside stuff that I had to work on extensively.

With that, just remember, what you do naturally will feel natural, but that doesn't make it any more or less important to your game.
                  Fair enough...

I need to study more guys who fight tall despite having height disadvantages. That is very tricky but when I think about guys who do it, it boils down to controlling distance. They either make sure they are too far away (outside of their opponent's punching range) or they have their head in the guy's chest working on the inside. Either too close, or too far, nothing in between.

Comment

recognize your the shorter man. dont try to fight tall. sometimes you have to do the opposite. make them reach and you stay in a crouch evn as the shorter fighter. when they overcommit you make them pay.

Comment

Working...
                    X