No announcement yet.

15 Most Exciting Warriors of the Ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    The problem I have with lists like this is that "exciting" is completely, 100% subjective.

To me, watching Nicolino Locche slip punches is the most exhillirating thing I've ever seen in a boxing ring... but many (most?) people probably consider him boring because he's not an offensive fighter.

By contrast, most people loved watching fights like the Gatti/Ward trilogy, or fighters like Mike Tyso... I find him incredibly boring (I wouldn't pay $ to watch one inning of a baseball game) and never really enjoyed Gatti/Ward.

While appreciating what a guy like Locche could do......I can't find round after round of watching little contact and no damage happening as very exciting. I watch boxing mostly to see people hitting each other. If I want to see people not hit each other, I will sit in a park somewhere.

Watching a guy make someone miss and then hit him with a punch that does damage....now not only do I find that exciting, I think it's art.

Comment

The problem I have with lists like this is that "exciting" is completely, 100% subjective.
      Not exactly an insightful observation. Every issue on the forum is subjective; they are all subject to the biases and opinions of each individual. If we all saw things equally, there would be no basis for debate, the very object of this or any other forum.

Comment

I tend to agree with you about frazier he was described as a motorized marciano who also was very exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
          Not exactly an insightful observation. Every issue on the forum is subjective; they are all subject to the biases and opinions of each individual. If we all saw things equally, there would be no basis for debate, the very object of this or any other forum.
          Every issue is, at least, partially subjective. If I said that Wilford Scypion was greater than Sugar Ray Robinson, I would be wrong, period. If I said that Henry Armstrong was greater than Robinson, there would be room for debate.

"Excitement", however, is completely, 100% subjective.

The following are the fighters who I draw the most excitement from watching, in no particular order:

Nicolino Locche (notwithstanding "no particular order", there is no fighter who I enjoy watching more than him)

Sugar Ray Leonard
          Ricardo Lopez
          Hank Lundy
          Pernell Whitaker, at lightweight
          Thomas Hearns (one of the only only powers puncher I genuinely love to watch)

Wilfred Benitez
          Floyd Mayweather Jr.
          Alexis Arguello
          Eder Jofre
          Harold Brazier
          Pascual Perez
          Carlos Monzon
          Gilberto Roman
          Chris John

There are hundreds more, but those 15 came to mind first as my most exciting.
          Last edited by SBleeder; 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Every issue is, at least, partially subjective. If I said that Wilford Scypion was greater than Sugar Ray Robinson, I would be wrong, period. If I said that Henry Armstrong was greater than Robinson, there would be room for debate.

"Excitement", however, is completely, 100% subjective.
            If you think someone like John Ruiz is exciting, you aren't wrong. But, you are most definitely mentally ill.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              If you think someone like John Ruiz is exciting, you aren't wrong. But, you are most definitely mentally ill.
              Ruiz is boring to me because he was extremely un-skilled.

But a fighter doesn't have to throw punch after punch after punch to be exciting.

Comment

Ruiz is boring to me because he was extremely un-skilled.

But a fighter doesn't have to throw punch after punch after punch to be exciting.
                Perhaps being able to beat most of your foes with just a left jab and some hugs makes you quite skilled?

Comment

This is just my list of the most exciting fighters I've seen and keep in mind watching a fight live is always better then watching something you already know is gonna happen which is why we are here and not on a pro wrestling site.I mean I can watch Whitaker both Sugar Rays. and Ali, Foreman and Fraizer and appreciate the excitement and skill but nothings better then watching and epic throwdown live. I just don't want the old heads coming at my throat haha

Diego Corrales
                  Arturo Gatti
                  Aaron Pryor
                  Juan Manuel Marquez
                  Erik Morales
                  Joe Fraizer
                  George Foreman
                  Tito Trinidad
                  Ricardo Mayorga
                  Miguel Cotto
                  James Kirkland
                  Roy Jones Jr
                  Kasiditis
                  Mike Tyson
                  Sugar Ray Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                    Let me see if I get this straight: Are you saying you don't find this exciting solely because it ended within two rounds?

[vbtube]yMGzKcbCYPc[/vbtube]
                    Nothing exciting about that. Berbeck was a scrub opponent solely there to be executed. Are you saying the only thing exciting about boxing is when someone gets brutally KTFO? I don't watch boxing because I get off on violence, sorry. I find boxing compelling for other reasons.

Poet

Comment

I don't need a KO to create excitement....but I am almost always excited by a KO. Early KOs don't bother me, as long as they are convincing/conclusive.

Big punchers bring danger and tension into every fight, and that's what really makes them exciting. Sometimes, however, the foe can be overly wary of the big hitter's power and fight too fearfully.

Comment

Working...
                      X