High guard in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High guard in boxing?

Anyone else adopt this type of defense?

I have been getting hit a bit lately, because I rely mainly on my reflexes for my defense, but I don't fee like this works for me... So recently I kept my hands up, using a high guard, and I felt comfortable with it (before I just covered my chin with my backhand, with my left just in front. I find this style a lot more effective to any other kind of defense!

I know Winky Wright and Joshua Clottey both use the high guard as a form of defense, and it works great for them.

What are the vulnerabilities of using this type of defense?

Body attacks

Comment

Flat Feet, Body can get worked and hooks can get around the guard.

If you work on it and it feels right for you, go for it, your best weapon will be a one-two..so it's even better if you have a crisp and fast jab.

Comment

be true to yourself, if u aint a slick type of boxer, keep it basic. high guard can be effective, look at miguel cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxgaggi View Post
          be true to yourself, if u aint a slick type of boxer, keep it basic. high guard can be effective, look at miguel cotto.
          Yeah I gathered. I was sparring the other week, and I was sort of fighting like Martinez, I ended up getting a caught with some good shots because of it. Probably me showing a little flamboyance (lol) but that style just ain't here for me.

I'm going to adopt the high guard style from now on, I feel this works for me much more. Any others boxers that use the high guard other than Clottey, Cotto, Winky?

Comment

Originally posted by Casual View Post
            Yeah I gathered. I was sparring the other week, and I was sort of fighting like Martinez, I ended up getting a caught with some good shots because of it. Probably me showing a little flamboyance (lol) but that style just ain't here for me.

I'm going to adopt the high guard style from now on, I feel this works for me much more. Any others boxers that use the high guard other than Clottey, Cotto, Winky?
            Floyd Mayweather does it sometimes

Comment

Working...
            X