No announcement yet.

Did Tyson and Douglas met years later after their fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Tyson and Douglas met years later after their fight

I've seen pictures of Tyson with fellow opponents Tony Tucker, Larry Holmes and Evander Holyfield at present but how about Buster Douglas, did they get to see each other by chance, what would Iron Mike tell to Douglas now.

Even the 20th anniversary special of the 1990 upset of the century, it only features Buster and no Tyson.
    Last edited by Emon723; 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM.

I thought I seen a picture of them together years later but maybe not.

Comment

They reunited last year in Ohio I believe, there were multiple articles about it. Mike spoke about how incredible it was that Douglas won the fight.

Comment

wont be surprised if douglas purposely avoided Tyson all these years

Comment

can't find any pictures but found this article from June 18, 2011

Buster Douglas and Mike Tyson reunite at local boxing event

On Friday, boxing legend Mike Tyson reunited with Buster Douglas at a local boxing event in Cincinnati, Ohio for the first time in over 20 years. Both men were part of a meet and greet to help promote the local card.

On Friday, Douglas made the following comments about seeing Tyson again, according to Cincinnati.com:

"That was cool. It was a long time coming. It meant a lot. I respect Mike, and the things that he is doing now are pretty great."

Douglas defeated Mike Tyson on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan via KO in the 10th round. Mike was 37-0 at the time and considered the "baddest man on the planet". The undisputed champion had never been knocked down let alone KO'd. Douglas' victory was one of the greatest upsets in boxing history.

For Tyson, it marked the beginning of the end for his career. In 1991, Tyson was arrested for raping Desiree Washington. He would return to boxing in late 1995 and defeat two journeymen fighters. Unfortunately, he was never able to regain his dominance. He would go on to lose 5 times in his last 12 fights, finally retiring in 2005.
          Advertisement

Tyson appeared on the Cincinnati card as a favor to longtime friend Nate Tubbs who's known Tyson since their days in amateur boxing. The two main fights on the card are: cruiserweight Daniel Judah vs., Julius Jackson and Melissa St. Vil vs. Evette Colazzo. The event begins at 6pm local time.

Comment

I just saw this question now. If I would have seen the question 30 minutes ago I could have asked Mike as I was just talking to him on the phone.

This is no joke! I have been trying to contact Tyson for the New York Boxing Hall of Fame, which I am on the Committee that selects the Inductees, and I told him all about the affair. He seemed to be excited to be among the 1st group to be selected.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
              can't find any pictures but found this article from June 18, 2011

Buster Douglas and Mike Tyson reunite at local boxing event

On Friday, boxing legend Mike Tyson reunited with Buster Douglas at a local boxing event in Cincinnati, Ohio for the first time in over 20 years. Both men were part of a meet and greet to help promote the local card.

On Friday, Douglas made the following comments about seeing Tyson again, according to Cincinnati.com:

"That was cool. It was a long time coming. It meant a lot. I respect Mike, and the things that he is doing now are pretty great."

Douglas defeated Mike Tyson on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan via KO in the 10th round. Mike was 37-0 at the time and considered the "baddest man on the planet". The undisputed champion had never been knocked down let alone KO'd. Douglas' victory was one of the greatest upsets in boxing history.

For Tyson, it marked the beginning of the end for his career. In 1991, Tyson was arrested for raping Desiree Washington. He would return to boxing in late 1995 and defeat two journeymen fighters. Unfortunately, he was never able to regain his dominance. He would go on to lose 5 times in his last 12 fights, finally retiring in 2005.
              Advertisement

Tyson appeared on the Cincinnati card as a favor to longtime friend Nate Tubbs who's known Tyson since their days in amateur boxing. The two main fights on the card are: cruiserweight Daniel Judah vs., Julius Jackson and Melissa St. Vil vs. Evette Colazzo. The event begins at 6pm local time.
              Thanks, Now I found out they do see each other even without no pictures, I remember a feature on Buster I think that was before his one-round KO loss to Lou Savarese in 1998, where he was doing exercising, losing weight upon making a comeback in the boxing ring.

It would be nice if Tyson and Douglas shared the spot together talking about their fight in Tokyo, I always believe Mike has high respect for Buster as all of his previous opponents.

Comment

theres a studio interview with them a few months after the fight with merchant

Comment

If only Tyson hadnt gone into that damn fight hung over.

Comment

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
                    theres a studio interview with them a few months after the fight with merchant
                    But they are not exactly in good terms that time, Tyson was demanding a rematch, and was still in disbelief on losing his undisputed belt to Buster.

Comment

Working...
                    X