Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight Drained Clarification (for intelligent Cotto fans ONLY)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aether View Post
    how much do you think cotto's "belt" gonna worth if he loses? so he can call still himself world champ when he gets beat by a guy that he's gonna outweigh by 10-15 lbs?

its gonna worth jack **** if he loses. might as well put it on the line.
    If he loses, it may very well be the only thing he has that will get him another fight with someone in the top 10, and a decent payday.

I'd probably tell Manny (were I Cotto), sure, I'll put the title up, but it'll cost an extra $100,000 for every ounce under the welter weight limit that I have to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
      Double standard.
      Pacquiao vs De La Hoya at 147 no title
      Pacquiao vs Cotto at 145 with title

Pacquiao could fight at 147 for a non title fight against De La Hoya but he can't fight Cotto at 147 for a title?
      Manny asked for the fight.

Maybe this sound familiar?

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20444
      people should stop using de la hoya to legitimize pacquiao as a 147 lber.

it was oscar de la hoya. don't know if you knew this, but de la hoya could have fought any boxer at any weight he wants at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickman View Post
        If he loses, it may very well be the only thing he has that will get him another fight with someone in the top 10, and a decent payday.

I'd probably tell Manny (were I Cotto), sure, I'll put the title up, but it'll cost an extra $100,000 for every ounce under the welter weight limit that I have to lose.
        disagree... he still can have big fights even if he has no belt. he could rematch mosley, clottey, or margarito.

he won it from michael jennings for ****'s sake.

Comment

disagree... he still can have big fights even if he has no belt. he could rematch mosley, clottey, or margarito.

he won it from michael jennings for ****'s sake.
          Doesn't matter right now where he got it, all that matters is that it's a bargaining chip he can use to either get more money from Pacman, or in the event Pacman isn't willing to pay more to get a shot at the title, he can hold onto it to help ensure he gets a better payday in the future.

If you don't think owning a title gives you negotiating power, you're mistaken. It could mean the difference between a 70/30 split and a 55/45 split.

And if Cotto loses, why would Mosley agree to a rematch without a title to gain, when he could instead try and get a fight with Pacman, or Mayweather?

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
            if it is only 2 pounds why does Pacquiao's team wants the fight at 145 instead of 147?

Trekas said.

Nate Campbell weight 134 1/2 against Juan Diaz
            Then a year later fought Funeka and weight in 137 1/2. He could not make the weight
            Here's the problem with your logic.

Your basing it on the fact that Nate Campbell is gonna take training as seriously for every single fight.

In reality that first fight was a title fight where he was trying to win a title.
            That other fight is a defense against a nobody.

Comment

I'm sure the weight won't be a problem, but Cotto's title shouldn't be on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickman View Post
                Doesn't matter right now where he got it, all that matters is that it's a bargaining chip he can use to either get more money from Pacman, or in the event Pacman isn't willing to pay more to get a shot at the title, he can hold onto it to help ensure he gets a better payday in the future.

If you don't think owning a title gives you negotiating power, you're mistaken. It could mean the difference between a 70/30 split and a 55/45 split.

And if Cotto loses, why would Mosley agree to a rematch without a title to gain, when he could instead try and get a fight with Pacman, or Mayweather?
                i just think cotto-pac is a big enough fight for a title to be on the line. the fight is bigger than any belts anyways.

let's just see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by AssasinKing View Post
                  Because pac is already going up 5 pounds...why should he go up another to make that 7?

So what...This is 1 person losing 1 pound...(2 even)....and another putting on 5 pounds....
                  Paq DOES NOT have to weigh 147, he can weigh whatever he wants. Also, no one said Cotto was going to come in at 147 either, he just doesn't want to be limited to 145, if the title is on the line, he could come in at 146 again just like the Clottey fight.
                  Last edited by Beater_of_ass; 08-01-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

i just think cotto-pac is a big enough fight for a title to be on the line. the fight is bigger than any belts anyways.

let's just see what happens.
                    It certainly is a big enough fight for the title to be up for grabs, but only if Manny makes a concession for the one he's asking. Either money, or weight. He's trying to break the agreement he made, you see? If Cotto had agreed to this initially, there'd be no real problem. Manny and Roach are trying to use a a ****ty tactic to get something they agreed to give up during negotiations. That's the sort of **** you expect from women, or lawyers, not any man with a sense of honor.

Comment

Originally posted by AssasinKing View Post
                      Because pac is already going up 5 pounds...why should he go up another to make that 7?

So what...This is 1 person losing 1 pound...(2 even)....and another putting on 5 pounds....
                      Because if he wants to fight at WW he should not expect others to come DOWN to him. That's why. If he does not want to go up to 147 again, that's his problem, not the problem of the WW division.

Comment

Working...
                      X