No announcement yet.

Most important thing for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important thing for boxing

Okay this is my first time on this forum so i wanted to say what is the most important thing in boxing
    reflexes
    timing
    footwork
    power
    speed
    strategy/feints
    endurance/condition
    to me i believe the most important thing is reflexes and conditioning and timing comes third to put up a goot offense
    Last edited by dman4093; 01-09-2013, 08:59 PM. Reason: i forgot to put endurance/conditioning

Originally posted by dman4093 View Post
    Okay this is my first time on this forum so i wanted to say what is the most important thing in boxing
    reflexes
    timing
    footwork
    power
    speed
    strategy/feints
    endurance/condition
    to me i believe the most important thing is reflexes and conditioning and timing comes third to put up a goot offense
    Heart is first because without that you would never get to any of those levels

Comment

Good Question

Personally if I were a boxer I would want my major asset to be timing. The hardest and most avoided fighters are usually the speedsters with the crazy footwork but if they are timed properly you eliminate their athleticism. When fighters that are used to winning fights strictly on their athleticism usually (about 75% of the time) get discouraged once their speed is eliminated. Here are my top 3 assets for a pro boxer:

1. timing
      2. a good jab (wasnt on the list but thought id add it)
      3. power

Comment

I'd say physical coordination is the most important trait. No matter how good a trainer he has, a physically uncoordinated fighter won't get far. Out of the traits you listed I'd say conditioning is the most important, but I've seen fighters be successful even without that.

For a long time I thought speed was the most important trait, but then I remembered fighters like George Foreman who is slow as a sloth. That fight against Moorer he was getting his butt kicked badly, but all he need was that 1 punch. While not slow, Duran, Chavez sr., Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, Vitali, Cotto weren't/aren't particularly fast either. Many of these guys had reach, however, which is basically the equivalent of speed.

In general, it's better to be quite good in all departments than brilliant in one and crap in all the others.

What makes boxing great is the different strengths fighters bring to the table.

Comment

heart,intelligence,reflexes,and timing

Comment

Balls, heart, courage, will, whatever you want to call it. You HAVE to have it. Every other quality falls into place with time.

Comment

Originally posted by dman4093 View Post
              reflexes
              timing
              footwork
              power
              speed
              strategy/feints
              endurance/condition
              Give me endurance/ conditioning then give me timing and power.

Endurance/ conditioning is something that allows you to build on everything else. It carries over from working out/ learning in the gym to applying in the ring.

Without it, reflexes slow, footwork halts, speed evaporates, timing and power become useless and strategy flies out the window as your mind begins to go blank.

So, even if you don't have the greatest natural gifts, or all the equipment, you better get your butt out there and run.

Comment

Working...
              X