No announcement yet.

How Textbook is Floyd Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
    id say it kinda belongs, the idea of textbook boxing is a historical idea thats been around for quite some time, giving those with good knowledge of the history of boxing a better idea of what textbook is. so essentially your comparing something from the past (textbook) to something of the present (mayweather) which dosnt make this very diffrent then a marciano vs klitschko thread.
    Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History > How Textbook is Floyd Mayweather?

Remember when this used to be the history section?
    Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
    I don't blame them.

Even in here we've already had someone allege that Cotto exposed Mayweather. In NSB you'd be lucky for it to just be that.
    Ppl, go check out my new thread (in BH) I think I have a solution for this.

Comment

Exposed Mayweather? <__<..By landing some jabs? The same jabs people have been saying are the key to beating Mayweather if he's ever beat (outside of a shocking one punch KO, of course).

Anyway, I don't think he's very text book. He's just so economical and even though like someone said, he "exposes" his chin when he throws, bear in mind how infrequent he's ever been countered by something threatening when he throws. When he throws, he knows he's most likely landing. Like someone said, we don't see what he sees. Hindsight is 20-20. Floyd does keep his hands up though much more than given credit for. He does a lot of things almost "perfect" but it's because of his reflexes. He's slowed down a tad, but his instincts are insane and his reflexes aren't down right gone or anything that severe. There's a reason you see guys who are freakishly gifted (athletically) not do as well as Floyd..-cough- Zab - cough-. It's his IQ and instincts.

Comment

I don't think he's textbook at all, really. I don't think you'd find many textbooks advocating use of the shoulder roll or pull counter

Although, he didn't invent the style obviously (Or not so obviously, depending on who you talk to :lol1) so he isn't entirely new, either.

Originally posted by Rolaz View Post
        Cotto exposed Mayweather Jr., he can be hit...he probably forgot to protect his nose!
        Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
        Exposed him by winning two rounds.

What the **** was Marquez III then?

Comment

There are very few top fighters who are "textbook", in that you couldn't just study them and expect success by emulating their style. This is certainly the case for Mayweather, and I'd say the same for JMM, both of who do certain things in a textbook manner but also use a lot of advanced unorthodox techniques which they've incorporated into their styles over the years. The higest level textbook fighter I can think of fighting today is Felix Sturm.

Comment

Working...
          X