No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's relationship with Jim Jacobs turned bitter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    They got "crap" because they died!! Its not Tysons fault but it is his fault for not following Cus's plan that included Jimmy and Cayton and after Jimmy passed he had King in his ear about Cayton being distrustfull which was a bunch of BS!
    Tyson had the best team behind him that he could have hoped for, I know cause I was there. Doc
    +1 to this ... this badmouthing of jimmy jacobs in this thread is kinda pissing me off to be honest - if he tried to get as much influence into cayton's hands before he died I'd say he was right on the track, better cayton than king thats for sure - cayton was an honest guy who played straight, he took his fair share after tyson made it, as did the team, but why shouldn't they? without them, tyson would have been dead or seeing out a life term in prison before he reached 20, with them he became the undisputed champion of the world and the richestest sportsman on the planet ... if that's screwing the guy give me some of that! ... King is the screw job artist not cayton and certainly not jacobs

Comment

I feel as though the the major issue here is not being adressed. Jacobs should have told Mike about his illness as well as the specific contracts he was making him sign. You must understand that at that time Mike must have felt not only heartbroken but maybe deceived as well, and if this was Jim's way of keeping Mike tied to Cayton and the rest of the team, can you really consider that a good way of handling the situation?

And House of Stone, nobody should ever badmouth Jimmy Jacobs. I have massive amounts of respect for him and believe he is the most underappriciated Boxing historian ever. All boxing fans should be thankful to his great work in finding and collecting classic fights that may have been lost forever if it wasn't for him.

Comment

Tyson did wrong by a lot of his people (the ones Cus told him to trust incidentally) and despite all his later reform still hasn't owned up in this area.

Comment

I seen the words Robin Givens and I automatically knew what's sup with the lawsuit.

Comment

Tyson always said that the original team from catskills were taking advantage of him too. I think he has said this about every person that was ever part of his management except for Cus D'Amato.

Comment

Tyson is was and only recently stopped (see him saying **** off in prime time) being abused child. All this nonse in the article is just a consequence of it. Tyson got abused right from the start by many people, and finally Cus, who he praised. It was pure business relationship, Cus maybe did not need money that much, but he needed fame and recongnition. So he enlisted Jacobs and other guys who neeeded money and could bring him fame. Simple as that. At the same time Tyson looked for love he never had in childhood. It all revolved around Tyson not willing or capable of being his own man like Mayweather or Sugar Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
                A long time ago I had heard of this before, but I didn't start reading about it untill I saw Tyson's documentary a few years ago where he would actually insult not just Bill Cayton but even Jacobs too, calling them slavemasters.

This old article talked about it, but I've read a book by mr. Mcrae years ago that went into more details than this one.
                http://articles.philly.com/1988-06-2...orraine-jacobs

In short, apparently Jacobs had never told Mike about his terminal illness, unknowingly made him sign a contract that would enable his wife to take a large percentage of Tyson's earnings, after Jim's death. Considering how close Tyson was to Jacobs, you can imagine how hurt he felt after knowing this. Part of me refuses to believe Jacobs had evil intentions behind their relationship but it's hard to ignore these sources.

It also brings a different perspective on how boxing and it's history looks at Tyson's team pre-Don King. Cayton and Jacobs backstabbed him, and Rooney was a drunk who was causing Tyson and his camp problems. It wasn't the most perfect team by any means as most people believe.

You ever notice how Tyson never really talks highly of Jacobs, Rooney etc? I'm sure he would if you asked him, but he never goes out of his way to praise them like he always does Cus. I personally think that he was hurt by them and it was never the same again afterwards. I would love to hear more info on this if you guys can share some.
                You have put it in words very well. Exactly how I feel about it.

Comment

nvsemen, please stop speculating your wrong on every point you've made.

Cus needing fame is a joke, he trained world champions prior to Tyson. Jimmy Jacobs massed the best boxing library on film in the world and Jimmy exposed Tyson to it.
                  Cayton was a mentor to many people for finances and was the trust and guidance for monitorial gains and savings. None of the above "needed money"!!!

Have you ever sat down and talked with any of the people your talking about?
                  No so shut up because theres a person on this site who knew all of the above and your just a BS'er!!!

Tyson was the problem, as a youngster with Cus Tyson would go back to Browns and his "so-called friends" would drill him on stsying with "white people" in the mountains and why doesn't he have a brother handling him. This is where many young fighters are lost to the streets. They go back to fools they used to be a fool with!! That's what the problem was and it festered once the team began to pass away! Hense brother Don King and Cayton out.

Cus was a friend of mine and I watched out for Teddy & mike when they entered the J.O. program right up until he was on the Open Class USA team.

STOP BSing about my friend!
                  Ray Corso

Comment

I didn't know this

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      nvsemen, please stop speculating your wrong on every point you've made.

Cus needing fame is a joke, he trained world champions prior to Tyson. Jimmy Jacobs massed the best boxing library on film in the world and Jimmy exposed Tyson to it.
                      Cayton was a mentor to many people for finances and was the trust and guidance for monitorial gains and savings. None of the above "needed money"!!!

Have you ever sat down and talked with any of the people your talking about?
                      No so shut up because theres a person on this site who knew all of the above and your just a BS'er!!!

Tyson was the problem, as a youngster with Cus Tyson would go back to Browns and his "so-called friends" would drill him on stsying with "white people" in the mountains and why doesn't he have a brother handling him. This is where many young fighters are lost to the streets. They go back to fools they used to be a fool with!! That's what the problem was and it festered once the team began to pass away! Hense brother Don King and Cayton out.

Cus was a friend of mine and I watched out for Teddy & mike when they entered the J.O. program right up until he was on the Open Class USA team.

STOP BSing about my friend!
                      Ray Corso
                      First off, show some respect to me and spell my nickname properly

I was not blaming Cus and other guys, they are not bad or good, we just live in a wicked world. Mike was looking for love in wrong places.

Comment

Working...
                      X