No announcement yet.

Manny and the 40 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    Promoters work for boxers, not the other way around~ Arum gets his cut but Arum also takes more on the back end.

Yes Arum does take risk, but Arum is good at his job so he doesn't lose often but he has taken baths in the past look up what he paid for Rahman-Maskaev II and tell me if you think he didn't lose~. No such thing as a business without risk, you do your best to mitigate them but nothing is certain.

Those numbers are from where, what Arum says? What Arum says publicly and what is going on for real are not same thing.
    And so far Pac has been a good bet for him. I bet he took a good hit on that 27% minimum on the Bradley fight, but more than made up with the 2 JMM fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      And so far Pac has been a good bet for him. I bet he took a good hit on that 27% minimum on the Bradley fight, but more than made up with the 2 JMM fights.
      Arum is out for number 1 no doubt and Manny has made him a bunch of money, that certainly isn't up for debate.

That is why Manny had leverage to make something happen though, because Arum can't just replace Manny and he can't make him fight.

Manny certainly did very well for himself though also, if only one guy makes a bit more in your field that isn't too shabby. So while I am critical of his choice on this matter, it is not like he is hurting that much from it either.

Comment

Arum is out for number 1 no doubt and Manny has made him a bunch of money, that certainly isn't up for debate.

That is why Manny had leverage to make something happen though, because Arum can't just replace Manny and he can't make him fight.

Manny certainly did very well for himself though also, if only one guy makes a bit more in your field that isn't too shabby. So while I am critical of his choice on this matter, it is not like he is hurting that much from it either.
        I would say ultimately that is the best way to look at it. I started this thread just to talk about the financial ramifications of this fight and it seems to led to a good convo (for the most part) be really arguing between who missed out on more money between these two is pure semantics.

Really it was just the fans who lost.

Comment

I'm sure Pac hasn't maximized his earnings, but like you said he's done well. For example, under some fictional 50/50 split, Pac would end up with 27% less than Floyd, at best. Still a ton of money.

Very few guys have gone off on their own, and both had aspirations to be a promoter, which Pac doesn't. And it's easy to make a wrong move. For example he could have signed with 50 Cent and had to fight on TR cards, having to pay both Arum and 50.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
            I'm sure Pac hasn't maximized his earnings, but like you said he's done well. For example, under some fictional 50/50 split, Pac would end up with 27% less than Floyd, at best. Still a ton of money.

Very few guys have gone off on their own, and both had aspirations to be a promoter, which Pac doesn't. And it's easy to make a wrong move. For example he could have signed with 50 Cent and had to fight on TR cards, having to pay both Arum and 50.
            Yea it is a risk to go out on your own, but with that risk comes bigger rewards.

However some people just aren't risk takers like that and considering how jacked Manny's team was/is that someone like Arum was actually needed to make it work as good as it did.

What good is making more money if it is going out the door at a much faster rate~

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
              I would say ultimately that is the best way to look at it. I started this thread just to talk about the financial ramifications of this fight and it seems to led to a good convo (for the most part) be really arguing between who missed out on more money between these two is pure semantics.

Really it was just the fans who lost.
              I just like to see fighters do as good as they possibly can, because I know the history of boxers and there are not many happy endings.

Also since I gamble and make money on boxing, I try to root for their success to make me feel less guilty about making money on the pain of others.

Comment

Yea it is a risk to go out on your own, but with that risk comes bigger rewards.

However some people just aren't risk takers like that and considering how jacked Manny's team was/is that someone like Arum was actually needed to make it work as good as it did.

What good is making more money if it is going out the door at a much faster rate~
                He thinks of himself as a politician, not a promoter. That can be lucrative too, anywhere.

And the bolded applies to Floyd at least as much, and many other huge names from the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  I don't know man, I can see the 40 mil offer from both sides. The fan in me says it was a lowball offer, but seeing it from the business side that Mayweather was talking about I can see why he offered him that. From what I heard recently in a Floyd interview he wanted to cut Arum out completely. He said something to the effect of giving Manny the 40 mil while not including Arum cause he didn't want to put money in Arum's pocket. that in turn would mean more money for Pac as he wouldn't be paying his 25% or however much he has to pay to Arum
                  Arum or not, a flat fee and no ppv revenue for what could have been the most lucrative fight of all time was a BS offer, unless it's a $100 million flat fee.

Not to mention Arum would have never let that happen, he would have fought Pac in court.

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
                  If You think of this with any other product:

Say you are wanting to sell your house for 1,000,000. But some rich guy is only offering you 600,000 for it. And that is the absolute best deal that is out there. Even though you know its not fair if your other option is selling your same house to someone else for 300,000, do you then turn down the 600k and take the 300k because you know the rich guy was short changing you?
                  This comparison doesn't work because you know the real value of your house but you don't know exactly how much money a Pac/Floyd fight would have generated. What if Pac had accepted the deal and Floyd had ended up making $60 mil even though half the people bought the ppv for Pac? Floyd would have screwed Pac out of money that he earned.
                  Last edited by Light_Speed; 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• in hindsight, it's better to lose a close decision to a feather-fisted floyd (respectively) than to get KTFO by a roided JMM.

Comment

• Originally posted by straightleft View Post
                      lol! Floyd doesn't want any part of Pac. Remember when Pac was dominating everybody Floyd should already challenge him but guess what? Is Pac fault because he didn't agree to Floyd useless OST and 0% PPV offer.
                      and instead of banking the 40 million, he got KTFO for less than 1/4 of that

Comment

Working...
                      X