No announcement yet.

who was joe louis's toughest foe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who was joe louis's toughest foe?

this guy fought in 30, 40 and early 50s who was the best this great champion fought?

The obvious answer would be Marciano, followed by Ezzard Charles, then Jersey Joe Walcott. But these three were all late in his career. I think a Prime Louis would've beaten them all convincingly.

Billy Conn I was the toughest fight he had before his retirement I'd say (excluding the loss to Schmeling) but he eventually caught up to him and took him out.

Great fight too.

Arturo Godoy I would be the runner-up.

Comment

The obvious answer would be Marciano, followed by Ezzard Charles, then Jersey Joe Walcott. But these three were all late in his career. I think a Prime Louis would've beaten them all convincingly.

Billy Conn I was the toughest fight he had before his retirement I'd say (excluding the loss to Schmeling) but he eventually caught up to him and took him out.

Great fight too.

Comment

Louis vs Schmeling I

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

Great fight too.

I'm not gonna take the Marciano fight all that seriously as it was obvious Louis didn't belong in the ring with him that night. It's just tragic we never got them fighting each other at their best. As far as closer to his prime? I gotta say Jersey Joe followed by Schmeling, then Conn. He made a horrible tactical error in Schmeling I which all of us boxing purists know what that was!

Comment

Joe's toughest opponent? The IRS. He took a terrible beating in that fight.

Comment

Jersey Joe

Comment

Definitely Jersey Joe Walcott.Would have loved to see Jersey Joe fight Joe in his prime, though.

Comment

Working...
                X