Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Abril hadn't been robbed...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abril is the lightweight version of Andre Ward, that is no excuse for him getting robbed. He should be recognized as an undefeated fight though

Comment

Abril is a fighter that has a strong chance to either a) spoil your plans, or b) at least require that you rob him. And he's not a crowd-pleaser, so why would a promoter put their guy in there with him willingly?

That said, I want to see him get some legit shots because he's got the skill. To me he is interesting to watch, but I'm not just a casual fan.

Comment

He'd still be avoided like the plague, no matter what.

Comment

Had Lucas Matthysse not been on side of some dubious decisions (Alexander & Judah), he would be the number 1 boxer at 140lb's & already had huge big money fights.

Comment

Originally posted by BornToLive View Post
            Had Lucas Matthysse not been on side of some dubious decisions (Alexander & Judah), he would be the number 1 boxer at 140lb's & already had huge big money fights.
            We're talking about 135 and Richard Abril...

I think if Abril wins this WBA belt in the UK nobody is gonna wanna fight him either way, is what I think. He might just be making title defenses vs bums...

Unless a promoter has a prospect who they think has a very good chance vs Abril, like Broner or the loser from Molina-Demarco later on.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              both abril and vasquez suffer from the same issues. i think both of them are among the best boxers from 130 to 147. the issue is they dont have fans who are particularly interested in their style. vasquez is mexican but his style is not entertaining to many in the mexican fanbase. so even tho hes probably one of the best mexican fighters in this current era, he gets next to no attention. he gets **** fights while other, less skilled mexican fighters get heaped with praise. kinda sad. same thing with fighters like abril and molina. first of all abril is cuban, there isnt really a strong cuban fanbase for boxing in american. secondly, his style is just ehhh, so not many wanna see him fight. hes a spoiler. its very hard for a spoiler to win a fight in this era of super mega stars who bring action to a fight. the most sucessful spoiler has been bernard hopkins by far, but even he wasnt always a spoiler. he had big moments where he looked like a dominating fighter not just a dominating boxer. sad thats the way the boxing world works but it does for now and it will until fans start tp get more educated on what they are actually seeing.
              Some perceptive remarks. It would appear that "spoilers" usually possess better-than-average skill. I suppose they have to, because they weren't blessed with dazzling speed, awesome athleticism or mind-blowing power. Overall boxing skill is eroding, in my opinion. It's becoming a lost art. Guys like Abril, Molina and Hopkins are throwbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
                We're talking about 135 and Richard Abril...

I think if Abril wins this WBA belt in the UK nobody is gonna wanna fight him either way, is what I think. He might just be making title defenses vs bums...

Unless a promoter has a prospect who they think has a very good chance vs Abril, like Broner or the loser from Molina-Demarco later on.
                Abril is a pretty good boxer but i hard to believe that people at 135lb's would turn down a chance of the title.

More money, more exposure & chance to be 1 of the best at 135lb's, so regardless whoever the champion is, i doubt people will avoid Abril if he becomes champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                  both abril and vasquez suffer from the same issues. i think both of them are among the best boxers from 130 to 147. the issue is they dont have fans who are particularly interested in their style. vasquez is mexican but his style is not entertaining to many in the mexican fanbase. so even tho hes probably one of the best mexican fighters in this current era, he gets next to no attention. he gets **** fights while other, less skilled mexican fighters get heaped with praise. kinda sad. same thing with fighters like abril and molina. first of all abril is cuban, there isnt really a strong cuban fanbase for boxing in american. secondly, his style is just ehhh, so not many wanna see him fight. hes a spoiler. its very hard for a spoiler to win a fight in this era of super mega stars who bring action to a fight. the most sucessful spoiler has been bernard hopkins by far, but even he wasnt always a spoiler. he had big moments where he looked like a dominating fighter not just a dominating boxer. sad thats the way the boxing world works but it does for now and it will until fans start tp get more educated on what they are actually seeing.

another good looking post, bud.

bernard wrote the book on spoiling in that he was so damn good at it, but, as you alluded to, he could and did go other routs. he knocked trinidad and de la hoya out, for instance. or when his shoulder was badly hurt against antwun echols, and he had to get on his toes and do his best larry holmes for a couple of rounds, he did.

Comment

Originally posted by streetwaves View Post
                    Abril is a fighter that has a strong chance to either a) spoil your plans, or b) at least require that you rob him. And he's not a crowd-pleaser, so why would a promoter put their guy in there with him willingly?

That said, I want to see him get some legit shots because he's got the skill. To me he is interesting to watch, but I'm not just a casual fan.
                    Guys like Abril deal in subtleties. If I had to guess, I'd say better (much better) than 50% of a typical boxing audience is there to watch two guys pound each others brains out. They're there to be entertained, not to appreciate skills that are beyond their understanding. It's a fact that the finest things in life are the domain of the very few...and the masses rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                      I never saw his fight with Hunk, so I can't speak about it, but I don't believe he was robbed against Prescott. It was close, but I scored it for Breidis. Then he was robbed against Rios, but I don't know if it really hurt him. After all he has his title and everyone knows he won that fight. So I don't really think he should be in any different spot than he is right now. He's no Campillo.
                      I thought Prescott won that fight too. It was close though.

Was the Lundy fight televised btw?

Comment

Working...
                      X