Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Algieri Wins Clash of Styles, Lifestyles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Algieri Wins Clash of Styles, Lifestyles

by David P. Greisman - Ruslan Provodnikov and Chris Algieri were not just opponents, but opposites as well. They were so different in so many ways, several of which strongly suggested that Provodnikov would win when they fought this past Saturday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Provodnikov’s background is a Russian nesting doll of harshness. He is an ethnic minority in a small town in a district of western Siberia that on average has less than one person per square mile. His upbringing was difficult, and for a time his future seemed as bleak as his environment.

“I’ve had a very tough life,” Provodnikov said a week before the Algieri fight, with his manager serving as translator. “The way I was brought up and what I had to go through, for me I think it was unimaginable, and I wouldn’t want to go through it again.”

He didn’t want to get too deep into what he had gone through. It would be hard to understand, he said. But he was more open about where he would be if not for boxing.

“I think I would be in jail, it’s 100 percent,” he said with a smile. “It was going towards that. I was on the way. All my friends that I was growing up with, I don’t know where they are. Most of them are in jail, or I don’t even know where they are. I was drinking. I was sniffing glue. I was stealing. I was doing everything that leads a person to get to jail when I was a kid.”

Boxing has long been a sport that attracts the poor. Their energy is directed away from the violence, crime and desperation around them, and they are willing to endure years of pain and discipline in a sport that requires both. As Marvin Hagler was famous for saying, it can be hard to get out of bed early in the morning to run several miles if you’re sleeping in silk pajamas. [Click Here To Read More]

Nothing in boxing makes my blood boil more than calling a good BOXER a runner. If you want to be a dumbass and suffer brain damage in the name of "toughness" go ahead but don't then call a skillful boxer a runner. Lost all respect for him. Also Provo was a alcoholic, glue sniffer, thief ? So what then...we're supposed to be happy he turned it around? Piss off with that sob story bull****. You chose to do those things. His mother shouldn't be so proud either. She obviously failed as a parent.

Comment

I didnt know throwing hundreds of feather punches can win you the fight. Also, that fight shouldve have been stopped cuz by the 11th you couldnt even see the white in his eyes it was so shut.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxinganalysis View Post
        Nothing in boxing makes my blood boil more than calling a good BOXER a runner. If you want to be a dumbass and suffer brain damage in the name of "toughness" go ahead but don't then call a skillful boxer a runner. Lost all respect for him. Also Provo was a alcoholic, glue sniffer, thief ? So what then...we're supposed to be happy he turned it around? Piss off with that sob story bull****. You chose to do those things. His mother shouldn't be so proud either. She obviously failed as a parent.
        Your'e coming down on Provodnikov because of his past? The man has turned his life around to become a respectable fighter. You only know those things about him because he revealed them. You don't know what his life was like, or how his mother tried to raise him. I'm sure you're as pure as the driven snow, though.

As for the fight, Provo chased Algieri all night. One doesn't have to run in order to box. There's bobbing, weaving, feinting, movement and countering. Algieri ran more than he did any of those things. Provo was the champion, yet had to chase the challenger down! Despite that, Ruslan caused the greater damage and should have been awarded the victory.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
          I didnt know throwing hundreds of feather punches can win you the fight. Also, that fight shouldve have been stopped cuz by the 11th you couldnt even see the white in his eyes it was so shut.
          This actually makes Provo's performance even more pathetic. He couldn't beat a half blind fighter that can't punch

Comment

Good for Algieri. Shows ability means more than upbringing.

Comment

I love Jim Lampley's reaction at the end of the fight he thinking it was a straight up robbery scoring, ahhaha idiot! Ward was like, um Jim take off your HBO bias goggles.

Comment

Really impressed with Aligeris up bringing.

Didn't know he has a masters and all that. I followed him on Instagram and the dude eats extremely healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                  Your'e coming down on Provodnikov because of his past? The man has turned his life around to become a respectable fighter. You only know those things about him because he revealed them. You don't know what his life was like, or how his mother tried to raise him. I'm sure you're as pure as the driven snow, though.

As for the fight, Provo chased Algieri all night. One doesn't have to run in order to box. There's bobbing, weaving, feinting, movement and countering. Algieri ran more than he did any of those things. Provo was the champion, yet had to chase the challenger down! Despite that, Ruslan caused the greater damage and should have been awarded the victory.
                  he caused all the damage u cant just ignore all swinging and missing by provo and all rounds algeiri won. i think people are just in shock that like provo. man pac would eat him alive

Comment

Working...
                  X