Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was 2009 Manny's Best Year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either that or 2003 beating Barrera, his best win. Before Pac accepted to fight Bradley, 2009 was the last time Pacquiao actually took a legit fight, with Hatton and Cotto, 2 good wins. Clottey, Margarito, Mosley, and Marquez at 144 when he did was just straight up bulls**t. Looking back on the Marquez fight, Floyd should be happy Pac decided to fight Marquez instead of Victor Ortiz, because with Pac struggling against JMM at 144 and with Floyd ominating him when he was younger at the same weight, it made people appreciate what Floyd did to Marquez when they fought.

Comment

With that being said, I'd say Pac's prime was 2001/2002-2009. Floyd's was 2001-2007. Floyd could have had another year or two of prime fighting I thought if he hadn't taken the 21 month layoff. Both are past prime-still good right now. Kinda like where Leonard and Hagler were in 87' when they fought.

Comment

The rematch victory over Morales was pretty good and so was the first bout over Barrera, but Hatton and Cotto in the same year and the way he did it was pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          Either that or 2003 beating Barrera, his best win. Before Pac accepted to fight Bradley, 2009 was the last time Pacquiao actually took a legit fight, with Hatton and Cotto, 2 good wins. Clottey, Margarito, Mosley, and Marquez at 144 when he did was just straight up bulls**t. Looking back on the Marquez fight, Floyd should be happy Pac decided to fight Marquez instead of Victor Ortiz, because with Pac struggling against JMM at 144 and with Floyd ominating him when he was younger at the same weight, it made people appreciate what Floyd did to Marquez when they fought.
          I think Clottey was a legit fight. He was top five on every list of Welters, had a case for beating Cotto, gave Marg hell, and beat Judah. That's not a pushover. The people who saw it as style perfect for Manny were proved right but that was still a solid.

2009 was a very good year and I was impressed with both wins (Hatton on style and Cotto generally, even if I had problems with the silly catchweight). Margarito was interesting in terms of the size disparity and more entertaining and rough than it looked like it would be but ultimately unnecessary and ultimately went exactly how most though. The fake title didn't help it.

Looking forward to Bradley. Pacquiao hasn't faced a hungry young tiger like this in a while. Should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
            The rematch victory over Morales was pretty good and so was the first bout over Barrera, but Hatton and Cotto in the same year and the way he did it was pretty impressive.
            this , either the year he beat barrera or hatton and cotto the same year

Comment

Originally posted by Pessimistic View Post
              Floyd would beat him if they ever fought. But, I can't discredit his 2009 run. Point 1. Pacquiao fought Ricky Hatton in May of 2009. When people say Pacquiao only fights people coming off a loss.Not in this case though, Hatton had just scored a tko victory over Paulie Malinaggi and was undefeated at 140 . He lost to Floyd at welter. That second round knockout was a thing of beauty to this day. Point 2. Miguel Cotto was coming off of two victories at welter and he handles boxers better than Manny does. (Zab Judah, Yuri Foreman who Manny and Freddie decided they shouldn't fight.) Cotto isn't as shot as you think. He's had three stoppage wins since then and is number 1 rated in his weight class as well as a champion.
              When Manny finished his 2009 run, I thought he might move up to better competition. But, he hasn't he let's Arum pick his matches for him and Timothy Bradley will win this June. Arum's cashing out on him.
              The better competition at that time would be Floyd! But Floyd ducks all he can up to now!!!

Comment

2009 was a beast of a year

Not only did he beat 2 P4P fighters at 2 different weight classes but he completely destroyed them

Comment

for me its ...

1) 2003

Yesmagambetov, first fight @126, defended 122 belt against unbeaten challenger lucero then got his first signature win versus barerra and second lineal title ...

2) 2006

Knockingout Erik Morales 2x and having Larios as tune-up is a very good year...

3) 2008

3 wins in 3 different weight classes, Split Decision with Marquez earning 3rd lineal @130, taking a belt @135 againts diaz and crossover victory to super stardom versus dela hoya

4) 2009 Winning a 4th lineal title vs hatton and gaining a belt from cotto and No.1 status at Welter....

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                    With that being said, I'd say Pac's prime was 2001/2002-2009. Floyd's was 2001-2007. Floyd could have had another year or two of prime fighting I thought if he hadn't taken the 21 month layoff. Both are past prime-still good right now. Kinda like where Leonard and Hagler were in 87' when they fought.
                    great post!

Comment

Any questions about his ATG status were completely erased that year, so it's in the running. Say what you will about Hatton and Cotto, only a great fighter could obliterate those two the way Pacquiao did, especially factoring the weight jump.

Comment

Working...
                      X