No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History today

This thread is for all things concerning boxing today. As with every other thread in this section flaming, baiting and trolling will not be tolerated. ALL subjects, threads or posts about boxing today will be posted in this thread only. Anything outside this thread will be assessed and most likely deleted.

Enjoy!

what ?

Comment

Manny Pacquiao - make a case

Make a case for Manny Pacquiao being an ATG, as the media is trying to sell this as fact. Let's hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Make a case for Manny Pacquiao being an ATG, as the media is trying to sell this as fact. Let's hear them.
        Well the meteoric rise in weight, as well as his ability to carry his power, his very impressive. He beat the living **** out of a Barrera who would show that he wasn't yet done. He has a contestable but legitimate win over Marquez as well. The Morales wins don't do anything for me and the Cotto win isn't as good as it would have been if the Miguel had never fought Margarito, but that's still a pretty viable win. He only has one loss that's worth talking about and that is to a true all time great giving his last great performance. He's overrated by the media, but so are all athletes who are great in their times. I hear people talking about Tom Brady being the greatest QB of all time, a trend that seems to have caught fire after Monday's (dreadful) game. It's bound to happen. Just go to NSB after a fight, any fight, and you can see it for yourself. I heard people actually trying to say that Carl Froch was the GOAT at 168...honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          Well the meteoric rise in weight, as well as his ability to carry his power, his very impressive. He beat the living **** out of a Barrera who would show that he wasn't yet done. He has a contestable but legitimate win over Marquez as well. The Morales wins don't do anything for me and the Cotto win isn't as good as it would have been if the Miguel had never fought Margarito, but that's still a pretty viable win. He only has one loss that's worth talking about and that is to a true all time great giving his last great performance. He's overrated by the media, but so are all athletes who are great in their times. I hear people talking about Tom Brady being the greatest QB of all time, a trend that seems to have caught fire after Monday's (dreadful) game. It's bound to happen. Just go to NSB after a fight, any fight, and you can see it for yourself. I heard people actually trying to say that Carl Froch was the GOAT at 168...honestly.
          Pacquiao has entered the ring on fight night between 140 and 148 since he was a super featherweight up to JR MDW. He is fighting today at JrMDW at the same weight on fight night he always has, give or take 2-3 pounds.

Comment

Pacquiao has entered the ring on fight night between 140 and 148 since he was a super featherweight up to JR MDW. He is fighting today at JrMDW at the same weight on fight night he always has, give or take 2-3 pounds.

Can't blame Manny for that. Blame day before the fight weigh ins. MOST fighters today do the same thing, just not as successfully.. If we had same day weigh ins it would reduce the number of fighters who are able to bounce from division to division. Reduce the number of weight classes and it makes it that much more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Can't blame Manny for that. Blame day before the fight weigh ins. MOST fighters today do the same thing, just not as successfully.. If we had same day weigh ins it would reduce the number of fighters who are able to bounce from division to division. Reduce the number of weight classes and it makes it that much more difficult.
              Oh I don't blame him at all, and all fighters do it. What I question is why do people put so much emphasis on weight classes, when you're entering the ring at the same weight from super feather up to welter, or in the case against Margarito at JRMDW, 144 pounds, well under the welterweight limit!

It just doesn't make sense, as it seems he is just very good at cutting weight for weigh-ins, then putting all his weight back on.

He has jumped weight classes, but has not "really" jumped up in weight by much at all. Not a significant amount to holler about, anyway.

Comment

Oh I don't blame him at all, and all fighters do it. What I question is why do people put so much emphasis on weight classes, when you're entering the ring at the same weight from super feather up to welter, or in the case against Margarito at JRMDW, 144 pounds, well under the welterweight limit!

It just doesn't make sense, as it seems he is just very good at cutting weight for weigh-ins, then putting all his weight back on.

He has jumped weight classes, but has not "really" jumped up in weight by much at all. Not a significant amount to holler about, anyway.

I agree. But fighting from 106 to 150 successfully is still very impressive. There just aren't many fighters in history who have started that low and were successful even 20lbs north of there. The top 10 and GOAT talk is crazy, but I think a strong case can be made for top 25 to 40 range. It'll be easier to gauge once his career is over.
                Last edited by JAB5239; 12-09-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I agree. But fighting from 106 to 150 successfully is still very impressive. There just are many fighters in history who have started that low and were successful even 20lbs north of there. The top 10 and GOAT talk is crazy, but I think a strong case can be made for top 25 to 40 range. It'll be easier to gauge once his career is over.
                  Right. If it were as easy as all of that, you would have more fighters taking the risks --- if for no other reason than to garner the massive acclaim, exposure & paydays Pacquiao's jumps have lead to.

Make no mistake...Pacquiao is history in the making, & a truly, truly special fighter.

Comment

I agree. But fighting from 106 to 150 successfully is still very impressive. There just are many fighters in history who have started that low and were successful even 20lbs north of there. The top 10 and GOAT talk is crazy, but I think a strong case can be made for top 25 to 40 range. It'll be easier to gauge once his career is over.
                    It would be impressive... If he didn't start his career at 15 years old when he was only 4'11. He was an adolescent and once he matured into in adult, I think it's safe to say he was a comfortable featherweight. I don't think many people take that into account.

I just have not been very impressed with Manny Pacquiao the last couple years, and every time his next fight is announced, I just get angry. Then he demolishes a guy inside of a couple rounds, or wins 12 rounds to 0, and everybody throws a parade. To have a decent debate in NSB is impossible, that's why I am wondering what the level headed fellows in the boxing history have to say about this case.

Comment

Working...
                    X