Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard says to overcome Mayweather shoulder roll, hit the shoulder..you agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simular oponents that demonstrate simular styles;

Floyd vs DeLaHoya .........Oscar had size and a simular jab & right hand as Leonards and if Oscar could have maintained his pressure he would have beaten Floyd!

Leonard vs Benitez, Wilfred considered one of the best counter /move/ counter punch boxers would be a simular test for Leonard vs Floyd. Wilfred is a bigger man than Floyd not as fast but stronger !

I thought the shoulder breakdown would have been part of any plan when fighting Floyd but the trainers and boxers today forget theres alot of parts on the body that can cause pain when "tenderized"!

neck
    colar bone
    solar plex
    heart
    kidney/liver
    elbow
    shoulder joint...........alot more to touch than just a chin/jaw, stomach and head! Ray.

Comment

Floyd is not 5'8.

Everyone that met him says he's 5'6 tops and that's being generous.

He's probably like 5'5 1/2.

There is no way a 5'5 feather weight can beat Ray Leonard.

The reason Leonard said hit the shoulder is because next to Floyd Leonard is like a god damn CruiserWeight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Simular oponents that demonstrate simular styles;

Floyd vs DeLaHoya .........Oscar had size and a simular jab & right hand as Leonards and if Oscar could have maintained his pressure he would have beaten Floyd!

Leonard vs Benitez, Wilfred considered one of the best counter /move/ counter punch boxers would be a simular test for Leonard vs Floyd. Wilfred is a bigger man than Floyd not as fast but stronger !

I thought the shoulder breakdown would have been part of any plan when fighting Floyd but the trainers and boxers today forget theres alot of parts on the body that can cause pain when "tenderized"!

neck
        colar bone
        solar plex
        heart
        kidney/liver
        elbow
        shoulder joint...........alot more to touch than just a chin/jaw, stomach and head! Ray.

Shots on the ear are extremely painful too

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
          SRL fought Duran's fight in the first and paid for it. Look what happened when they rematched .... I can see Floyd saying "no mas .... no more master. You beat me"!

I'm NOT saying that Floyd can't hit SRL.

We are talking about Floyd in his shoulder roll stance and SRL pot shotting his shoulder from a distance. In that position, it would be hard for Floyd to hit SRL effectively and if he tried then SRL would have a better crack at (countering) Floyd.
          what about every other stance that floyd uses being that he only uses that roll when he has too

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            My personal opinion is that the shoulder roll isn't the problem, it's who is using it. We saw Berto try and use it and it didn't work so well. On the other hand, Mayweather and Broner have a mastery of it.

I believe Cotto and Castillo showed how to overcome this problem. Castillo showed how intelligent pressure can over come that and Cotto used his jab as a right handed fighter to cause problems in that stance.
            Good points. That said out of 36 rounds in total in the worst case floyd won 23 of 36 (5-7 castillo 1, 10-2 castillo 2 and 8-4 cotto) and in the best case he won 28 of 36 (8-4 castillo 1, 11-1 castillo 2 and 9-3 cotto).

SO i don't know how effective they were, respectfully!

Comment

The topic is the "shoulder roll" so!!!

southpawology; it depends who or what your listening too, also. HA! Ray

hatton & floyd the same size 5' SMALL

Comment

I think you guys are not getting what Leonard is trying to say.

I will break it down.

Leonard is saying that HE would do this as a much bigger fighter.

During his Prime Leonard was 5'11, he is much better than Floyd offensively and will only give up a slight defensive edge.
                He is the overall better boxer-puncher-mover.

He will be fighting a 5'5 former featherweight who try to shoulder roll.

He can just jab Floyd and the sheer size advantage will break Floyd down.

A GREAT BIG MAN always beat a GREAT little man.

It's like Broner fighting Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                  SRL fought Duran's fight in the first and paid for it. Look what happened when they rematched .... I can see Floyd saying "no mas .... no more master. You beat me"!

I'm NOT saying that Floyd can't hit SRL.

We are talking about Floyd in his shoulder roll stance and SRL pot shotting his shoulder from a distance. In that position, it would be hard for Floyd to hit SRL effectively and if he tried then SRL would have a better crack at (countering) Floyd.
                  SRL only has a 2 in reach advantage. If you think srl beats him fine. But please, don't posts silly **** like reach advantage when you clearly had no idea what is was for each fighter.

SRl's plan makes sense, but unless you have a Hearns like reach advantage you'd be silly, no matter how great you are, to fight like that vs floyd becaused floyd's reach (coupled with his speed)is extremely long for someone his size.

Comment

As much as I like Mayweather, man SRL would have put a massive one on him.

That ring movement, height, reach, hand speed, and BOXING ability.....boy

Comment

Did floyd senior have a shoulder roll and Ray overcame senior. So Ray should know a thing or two about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X