No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gary Russell Jr. Wants Juan Manuel Lopez Next, at 128

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gary Russell Jr. Wants Juan Manuel Lopez Next, at 128

BoxingScene.com caught up with undefeated featherweight contender Gary Russell Jr. (22-0, 13KOs) shortly after his dominant unanimous decision victory over Vyacheslav Gusev (20-3). Russell injured his hand early early on but was still able to pitch a shutout, winning ever round.

"I'm not sure if its broken. I know that I definitely seriously injured it early in the fight. Maybe the 3rd or 4th round," Russell said in reference to his hand.

"We were able to make certain adjustments in the corner. We worked behind our jab. We knew we were up on points. We used the jab. My father made the adjustments and now we are 22-0," stated Russell.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Lopez would have size advantage but w/his porous defense I c a UD 4 Gary, possibly a late tko win, if the bout happens...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth
      Lopez would have size advantage but w/his porous defense I c a UD 4 Gary, possibly a late tko win, if the bout happens...
      Hard to pick Russell by KO anymore with those hands of his. I guess if he does get Juanma that will answer some chin questions. Not sure if Juanma will do the whole catchweight thing tho.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post
        Hard to pick Russell by KO anymore with those hands of his. I guess if he does get Juanma that will answer some chin questions. Not sure if Juanma will do the whole catchweight thing tho.

This.

After watching him Saturday night, I think Russell is going to struggle hanging with the elite at any of the higher weights. He absolutely has noteworthy handspeed, but the lack of pop and brittle hands are going to hinder him without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous
          Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PunchKOPOW!

This.

After watching him Saturday night, I think Russell is going to struggle hanging with the elite at any of the higher weights. He absolutely has noteworthy handspeed, but the lack of pop and brittle hands are going to hinder him without a doubt.
          Well, I wouldn't say he lacks pop. With 2 healthy hands (especially his left) he got some pop. He can hit with both but his power hand is obviously his left. You gotta love the way he mixes it up to the body and head too, the guy has everything you want in a fighter minus the fragile hands.

I've been watch Russell Jr for a while, one of my favorite guys out there. And I always thought he had a bright future but at 5'4" and fragile hands his future doesn't look too bright. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Comment

Easy win for Russell. His speed, accuracy, timing, and reflexes are second to none. He is far from a fighter without pop. His right hook has serious KO power. JuanMa was the equivalent of being knocked out about 3 times in the Mtagwa fight due to the ref letting the slaughter continue and Mtagwa is SLOW. He will not be able to escape any of Russells punches.

Comment

Lopez's people: "hahahahaha, no WAY we'll sacrifice Lopez in such a high risk-low reward fight"

I don't see that happening soon

Comment

I always liked Gary Russel he has pop for sure , but the hand issue scares me. Now all of a sudden he wants to fight a top rank guy, thats not happening. Hes been taking his career way to slow so far and now it looks like he better cash out while he can still box, with two healthy hands.

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post
                  Well, I wouldn't say he lacks pop. With 2 healthy hands (especially his left) he got some pop. He can hit with both but his power hand is obviously his left. You gotta love the way he mixes it up to the body and head too, the guy has everything you want in a fighter minus the fragile hands.

I've been watch Russell Jr for a while, one of my favorite guys out there. And I always thought he had a bright future but at 5'4" and fragile hands his future doesn't look too bright. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Floyd Oscar and many other fighters had fragile hands but they eventually solved that problem.He just gotta get a better hand wrapper.Also just because he hurts his hands that does`nt necessarily mean he`s gonna hurt his hands consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfeind View Post
                    Floyd Oscar and many other fighters had fragile hands but they eventually solved that problem.He just gotta get a better hand wrapper.Also just because he hurts his hands that does`nt necessarily mean he`s gonna hurt his hands consistently.
                    It's been a consistent problem for him... He hurts his hand(s) every other fight or every other training camp.

Comment

Working...
                    X