Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny sure of win after watching tape

By Abac Cordero

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticl...Id=69&keyword=

HOLLYWOOD – Manny Pacquiao said he’d gone through the tape of the fighjt – minute by minute, round by round, blow by blow – and stayed convinced he was the clear winner over Juan Manuel Marquez.

“Panalo tayo (We won),” said Pacquiao upon his arrival from Los Angeles yesterday.

He stayed behind in Las Vegas the day after the fight, breaking the tradition of riding the Team Pacquao bus for the 300-mile journey through the vast Nevada desert. He stayed with his wife, Jinkee, and three dozen of his friends and family members.

Pacquiao said he watched the replay of the fight twice, went through the slo-mo replays as he analyzed the action-packed 12-round showdown for his WBO welterweight title. The Filipino champion won via a majority decision.

“Dalawang beses ko pinanood ang tape. (I watched the tape twice) Kahit sino pa ang makipag-argue (Anybody can argue),” said Pacquiao, who has defeated Marquez twice in a row now following their controversial draw in 2004.

“Panalo tayo,” he added.

Pacquiao said he’s open to a fourth match with Marquez if that’s what his promoter, Bob Arum, the public, and the 38-year-old Mexican counterpuncher want. He also said he’s open to a fight with Floyd Mayweather

“Okay lang sa akin kung si Marquez ulit (It’s okay with me if it’s Marquez again). Mabuti nga yun eh, kilala na natin ang kalaban (That’s good because we already know the opponent),” said Pacquiao, who did some shopping with his wife before heading back to LA.

Pacquiao is scheduled to arrive in Manila on Friday. But that’s unless something important comes up here.

Pacquiao and Marquez know each other too well as they’ve fought through 36 hard rounds. And while Marquez seemed to have mastered Pacquiao, it was the fighting congressman who had always prevailed in those meetings.

“I blocked a lot of his punches. He always waited for me to create the action and then he will counter. I have to accept it’s not easy to fight Marquez because he’s a very good counterpuncher,” said Pacquiao after the fight.

Pacquiao also complained of Marquez’ headbutts, including one which opened a deep, one-inch cut over his right eye during the 10th round. The cut required 28 stitches to close as the doctor worked on the cut inside and out.

Watching the fight closely also showed how Marquez tried to step on Pacquiao’s foot a handful times. Whether it was intentional or accidental, it affected Pacquiao’s balance from time to time, especially when he got hit by a punch while his foot was being stepped on.

But it’s all part of the game, and Pacquiao maintained that he did what he had to do to keep the title. He was the aggressor all throughout, threw more punches, and landed more.

Yes, Marquez threw the better ones, the clearer ones or even the harder ones. But as Filipino sportsman Hermie Esguerra observed, Marquez, if it were a basketball game, came up with the highlight plays, those dunks, but was outscored in the end.

“Of course the Mexicans feel bad because it was a close fight. But my fans are happy,” said Pacquiao.

Emanuel Steward, the noted trainer and boxing commentator, said Marquez did not do enough to take the championship away from Pacquiao.

Marquez took the middle rounds, but Pacquiao came out stronger in the closing rounds. A sports radio commentator here in Los Angeles said Marquez’ trainer, Nacho Beristain, made the mistake of repeatedly telling Marquez that he was ahead in the scorecard.

But he was not. HBO scored it 8-4 for Pacquiao, and chief promoter Bob Arum said he gave Pacquiao seven of the 12 rounds.One judge had it 114-114, and the others 115-113 and 116-112, both for Pacquiao.

Even the Compubox numbers were for Pacquiao.

Pacquiao, the stats sheet said, threw a total of 578 punches and connected 176 times for 30 percent accuracy. Marquez unleashed 436 punches and landed less, 138.

In the jabs department, Pacquiao landed 59 of 304 while Marquez landed only 38 of 182 jabs. In the power punches, again it was Pacquiao who threw more and landed more.

Pacquiao threw 274 power punches and found the mark 117 times, and Marquez threw 254 of them, and connected only a hundred times.

They were enough for Pacquiao to win -- regardless of how others may argue.

hehe, manny is absolutely right

2 of the judges had him winning [the other a draw]

pacquiao himself said he won

bob arum had him winning

i had him winning

harold lederman had him winning

is there really any doubt?

pacquiao is the clear winner of the fight and swept the trilogy in my book.

Comment

Marquez robbed me. That Fu(Ker said he wasn't going to run like Mosley but all night all he did was backed up and counter. I bought the fight thinking it was going to be a war LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyman View Post

bob arum had him winning

i had him winning

Yup, he is a WINNER! just check this THREAD!

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...1#post11432719

Marquez fan won't even bother watching it and call you an Idiot for believing Pacquiao won.

But they can't make a round by round analysis. They will just say Marquez won..

Comment

Excellent to hear Manny. Forget a 4th fight then and instruct Arum to make a Floyd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by abdul-jakul View Post
            By Abac Cordero

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticl...Id=69&keyword=

HOLLYWOOD – Manny Pacquiao said he’d gone through the tape of the fighjt – minute by minute, round by round, blow by blow – and stayed convinced he was the clear winner over Juan Manuel Marquez.

“Panalo tayo (We won),” said Pacquiao upon his arrival from Los Angeles yesterday.

He stayed behind in Las Vegas the day after the fight, breaking the tradition of riding the Team Pacquao bus for the 300-mile journey through the vast Nevada desert. He stayed with his wife, Jinkee, and three dozen of his friends and family members.

Pacquiao said he watched the replay of the fight twice, went through the slo-mo replays as he analyzed the action-packed 12-round showdown for his WBO welterweight title. The Filipino champion won via a majority decision.

“Dalawang beses ko pinanood ang tape. (I watched the tape twice) Kahit sino pa ang makipag-argue (Anybody can argue),” said Pacquiao, who has defeated Marquez twice in a row now following their controversial draw in 2004.

“Panalo tayo,” he added.

Pacquiao said he’s open to a fourth match with Marquez if that’s what his promoter, Bob Arum, the public, and the 38-year-old Mexican counterpuncher want. He also said he’s open to a fight with Floyd Mayweather

“Okay lang sa akin kung si Marquez ulit (It’s okay with me if it’s Marquez again). Mabuti nga yun eh, kilala na natin ang kalaban (That’s good because we already know the opponent),” said Pacquiao, who did some shopping with his wife before heading back to LA.

Pacquiao is scheduled to arrive in Manila on Friday. But that’s unless something important comes up here.

Pacquiao and Marquez know each other too well as they’ve fought through 36 hard rounds. And while Marquez seemed to have mastered Pacquiao, it was the fighting congressman who had always prevailed in those meetings.

“I blocked a lot of his punches. He always waited for me to create the action and then he will counter. I have to accept it’s not easy to fight Marquez because he’s a very good counterpuncher,” said Pacquiao after the fight.

Pacquiao also complained of Marquez’ headbutts, including one which opened a deep, one-inch cut over his right eye during the 10th round. The cut required 28 stitches to close as the doctor worked on the cut inside and out.

Watching the fight closely also showed how Marquez tried to step on Pacquiao’s foot a handful times. Whether it was intentional or accidental, it affected Pacquiao’s balance from time to time, especially when he got hit by a punch while his foot was being stepped on.

But it’s all part of the game, and Pacquiao maintained that he did what he had to do to keep the title. He was the aggressor all throughout, threw more punches, and landed more.

Yes, Marquez threw the better ones, the clearer ones or even the harder ones. But as Filipino sportsman Hermie Esguerra observed, Marquez, if it were a basketball game, came up with the highlight plays, those dunks, but was outscored in the end.

“Of course the Mexicans feel bad because it was a close fight. But my fans are happy,” said Pacquiao.

Emanuel Steward, the noted trainer and boxing commentator, said Marquez did not do enough to take the championship away from Pacquiao.

Marquez took the middle rounds, but Pacquiao came out stronger in the closing rounds. A sports radio commentator here in Los Angeles said Marquez’ trainer, Nacho Beristain, made the mistake of repeatedly telling Marquez that he was ahead in the scorecard.

But he was not. HBO scored it 8-4 for Pacquiao, and chief promoter Bob Arum said he gave Pacquiao seven of the 12 rounds.One judge had it 114-114, and the others 115-113 and 116-112, both for Pacquiao.

Even the Compubox numbers were for Pacquiao.

Pacquiao, the stats sheet said, threw a total of 578 punches and connected 176 times for 30 percent accuracy. Marquez unleashed 436 punches and landed less, 138.

In the jabs department, Pacquiao landed 59 of 304 while Marquez landed only 38 of 182 jabs. In the power punches, again it was Pacquiao who threw more and landed more.

Pacquiao threw 274 power punches and found the mark 117 times, and Marquez threw 254 of them, and connected only a hundred times.

They were enough for Pacquiao to win -- regardless of how others may argue.
            Stop the BS Manny. You know you lost. They're trying their hardest to convince us that Marquez did'nt win. Marquez got ****ed by the whole boxing world. It seems that everyone is selling him out just to save the Pac-May fight. Pacquiao is starting to lose a fan because obviously he was part of the fix. He's going along with it like they had this all planned out before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyman View Post

bob arum had him winning

i had him winning

Wow so HBO, his promoter, and one of his groupies had him winning? Every other person in the world including every fighter and trainer say Marquez won.

Comment

Originally posted by xAUGUSTUSx View Post
                Wow so HBO, his promoter, and one of his groupies had him winning? Every other person in the world including every fighter and trainer say Marquez won.
                End of thread!

Comment

Keep in mind that fighters and trainers are not judges.They are not trained to judge a fight. And most of them probably never have. Whatever they say is just an opinion, only slightly more credible than yours or mines.

Comment

U nailed it on the head.

Comment

Working...
                    X