No announcement yet.

Robert Guerrero at Welterweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Guerrero at Welterweight

I'm curious to know how people feel about Guerrero fighting at 147. Will he be effective? He was tall for a lightweight but IMO still small for the division.

He will be fighting for the WBC interim/silver title at welterweight. Is this just an attempt to try and secure a fight with Mayweather which he had been outspoken about making?

Or can he be a legitimate top contender??

Devon is highly ranked by the WBC and both guys are promoted by Golden Boy. How does that fight play out if Guerrero wins against Aydin?

He's a pretty crafty and underrated fighter. He looks more like a natural JWW, but he should be able to fight at 147 fine. I like his opponent in July, Aydin is a Top 10 WW right now. A good first fight back and a good first fight at a new weight. After Aydin, if he wins, he has a ton of options at WW being with GBP. There's Alexander, Berto-Ortiz II winner, Khan, Malignaggi (if he beats Senchenko), etc.

Comment

He needs to do it. If he wants to call out the elite at welter. He cant get mad that people are paying him no mind if he doesnt make some noise by beating some quality opposition at the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        He's a pretty crafty and underrated fighter. He looks more like a natural JWW, but he should be able to fight at 147 fine. I like his opponent in July, Aydin is a Top 10 WW right now. A good first fight back and a good first fight at a new weight. After Aydin, if he wins, he has a ton of options at WW being with GBP. There's Alexander, Berto-Ortiz II winner, Khan, Malignaggi (if he beats Senchenko), etc.
        How do you think he would fare against any of those guys? I know it's pretty hard to decide without seeing him at the weight. But let's assume that the weight has minimal to no effect on him...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
          How do you think he would fare against any of those guys? I know it's pretty hard to decide without seeing him at the weight. But let's assume that the weight has minimal to no effect on him...
          Guerrero is really underrated. I have been a fan since he beat Litzau back in 2008, who proved to be not that bad once he beat Caballero. Guerrero has pretty good speed and footwork, and he's pretty crafty. He did also win titles in 2 weight classes.

I think he easily beats Malignaggi. Berto, I think he can beat Andre. Berto when he boxes is pretty good, but he tends to trade far too often. If Berto just boxed instead slugging it out every other minute, his stamina might improve. He wouldn't be able to out box Guerrero, who's a great boxer himself, and I think Guerrero has better stamina. Khan, Alexander, and Ortiz, those would all be pick em' fights to me. I'd still probably favor Guerrero over Ortiz, so long as Guerrero is still effective at WW, but Khan would still be a tall task and Alexander looked really good at 147 against Maidana last month.

Guerrero, as long as he transitions well at WW, will be a good fighter there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
            I'm curious to know how people feel about Guerrero fighting at 147. Will he be effective? He was tall for a lightweight but IMO still small for the division.

He will be fighting for the WBC interim/silver title at welterweight. Is this just an attempt to try and secure a fight with Mayweather which he had been outspoken about making?

Or can he be a legitimate top contender??

Devon is highly ranked by the WBC and both guys are promoted by Golden Boy. How does that fight play out if Guerrero wins against Aydin?
            Alexander is a don king guy. But We need to see the Ghost at 147 against anyone to guage how good he is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              Alexander is a don king guy. But We need to see the Ghost at 147 against anyone to guage how good he is there.
              Devon signed with Golden Boy last year man.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                Assuming he makes the weight safely, I favor him over every one of those fighters. Malignaggi has the least chance to beat him, while Ortiz has the most. If Khan doesn't show me anything new against Peterson, then he'll have about as much chance to beat Guerrero as Paulie does lol.

Now mind you, I've only seen Guerrero fight once, so I'm just going with my gut. A southpaw with good height/reach, educated jab and decent pop. I'm judging blindly, but I think he's gonna be a force.
                Last edited by kiaba360; 03-10-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

id love to see guerro slowly test the waters, throw him in their with a madiana at 140, i belive hes capable of winning that one on the scorecards, then make him move up in weight and fight some like pauli if he beats that guy from the ukrane,, then devon alexander

Comment

but khan,berto,ortiz will do a ghostbuster on him

Comment

Working...
                    X