No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Mares Meets One Badass Too Many

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Mares Meets One Badass Too Many

by David P. Greisman - This much is a fact: We cannot have it both ways.

We expect fighters to challenge themselves at the highest level against top-rated opponents. And then we write them off once they lose. We treat that sole defeat as if it renders all that came before it as meaningless, and anything that is still to come as pointless.

Fighters lose. Sometimes that loss symbolizes overall shortcomings. And sometimes that loss is just what happened against one person on one night.

These are also facts: Abner Mares lost to Jhonny Gonzalez in a featherweight bout this past Saturday. It was a stunning result. Gonzalez was a former titleholder with eight losses on his record. Mares was undefeated and had captured belts in three divisions. Yet within less than three minutes, Mares was sitting on the canvas for the second time while Gonzalez stood tall, celebrating his victory. [Click Here To Read More]

It was Mares fault: when you meet a big puncher who knows you well and who is trained by your former trainer you can't be careless with your defense -- not even one second.

Comment

the ref knows mares can't stand on it anymore...jhonny is a hard puncher...jhonny is not malignaggi...when you're down twice with a heavy puncher, the ref should take control...otherwise, more damage is inevitable...

take margarito against pacquiao...the fight should have been stopped in the tenth but the ref continued...

look where is margarito now...

Comment

Originally posted by v.cassiusali@ya View Post
        the ref knows mares can't stand on it anymore...jhonny is a hard puncher...jhonny is not malignaggi...when you're down twice with a heavy puncher, the ref should take control...otherwise, more damage is inevitable...
        ... "mares can't stand on it anymore" what? After the stoppage they literally carried Mares to his chair.

Comment

I thought the stoppage was a little premature but I t was also inevitable. Any champ deserves to at least an opportunity to get to his feet and then have the ref assess his consciousness. That being said, I'd rather a ref stop it too early rather than too late. Can't be too mad at the guy..... even if i lost a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by RawDawgHasSpokn View Post
            I thought the stoppage was a little premature but I t was also inevitable. Any champ deserves to at least an opportunity to get to his feet and then have the ref assess his consciousness. That being said, I'd rather a ref stop it too early rather than too late. Can't be too mad at the guy..... even if i lost a few bucks.
            Sure...
            But Mares didn't get to his feet, not even after the fight was stopped -- he was carried to his stool.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              Sure...
              But Mares didn't get to his feet, not even after the fight was stopped -- he was carried to his stool.
              I think that was precautionary

He should have had the opportunity to rise to his feet. Sure, the fight could have ended in the second, but Abner deserved an opportunity. I thought it was quick. It's a 10 count, not a 3 count. That's what bothers me.

Comment

mares met a guy who can outbox him and has the power to stop him...that's just how it is. same would have happened if he fought donaire, rigo and mikey garcia...

Comment

If you fight the best you are going to have losses. Nothing else too it.

Comment

lol I must not be the only one
                    who saw Mares glass eyes but yet some morons are saying the fight should have not been stop WTF

Comment

Working...
                    X