No announcement yet.

Adopt the Olympic boxing weight divisions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopt the Olympic boxing weight divisions

The difference between flyweight and jr fly is 4 lbs the difference between jr fly and straw is 3 lbs. I find it extremely hard to believe a straw weight couldn't just eat an extra meal and make the fly limit. Same goes for Bantam and jr bantam as well as several other classes. The pro ranks should adopt the same classes as the olympics minus the jr fly division. Have 9 divisions and let these guys fight it out. It brings far more competitions and more importantly might force fighters to fight closer to their natural weight.

Thoughts?
    Yes, it's a great idea and promotes competition
    37.50%
    Maybe, but some fighters might be left out
    0.00%
    No, I like the 17 divisions and would like to see more added
    50.00%
    Hatton is the greatest British fighter ever
    12.50%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by lparm; 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM.

In case the question seems confusing and you were unaware of the Olympic divisions. Here are the weight limits for the Olympic boxing divisions I would like to see in the pros.

Flyweight: 118
    Bantamweight: 125
    Lightweight: 132
    Light Welterweight: 141
    Welterweight: 152
    Middleweight: 165
    Light Heavyweight: 178
    Heavyweight: 201
    Super Heavyweight: over 201

Again these are weight limits
    Last edited by lparm; 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
      In case the question seems confusing and you were unaware of the Olympic divisions. Here are the weight limits for the Olympic boxing divisions I would like to see in the pros.

If you add strawweight at 108 or so and that would be okay.
      Last edited by The Hammer; 10-28-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        If you add strawweight at 108 or so than that would be okay.
        Well they have jr fly or light fly as they call it in the Olympics with a division limit of 108 lbs.

Comment

147 and 160 are historic divisions so people prob wouldn't go for that but it's not a bad idea to get rid of a few divisions

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
            147 and 160 are historic divisions so people prob wouldn't go for that but it's not a bad idea to get rid of a few divisions
            So maybe the limits could be tweaked a little but overall the idea of less divisions is the best thing for boxing.

Comment

How can you say there are too many divisions when Pacquaio cant even find a fair fight in them to fight for title belts? Obviously the answer is more divisions.

Comment

That's what I fight at!
                I voted it was a good idea, but I thought about it and I don't like it. It would be hard for the best fighters at other divisions move up and fight good fighters. In other we would get less fights than we already do. So no.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                  How can you say there are too many divisions when Pacquaio cant even find a fair fight in them to fight for title belts? Obviously the answer is more divisions.
                  Such a hater, you must think about Manny all day seething about his wealth and fame.

So you think 17 divisions are too few huh. How many should boxing have then?

Comment

I could not vote in your poll because you left out the simple NO option. I agree with you that there are to many weight classes with some of them way to close together so I think some of them should just be dropped. There is no way that the original weight classes are getting changed because there is over 100 years of tradition behind them. 112, 118, 126, 135, 147, 160, and 175 are probably always going to stay the same so you should just get used to it. I think 105 serves a useful purpose for very small fighters. 108 should go and 115 should go as should 122. I don't mind 140, but it could go. 130 should go. If you can't make 126 move up 9 pounds to 135. 154 and 168 are not so bad since there is a 13 to 15 pound gap between weight classes at these higher weights. Cruiserweight should go back to 190. It was created for guys that could not quite get down to 175 but were way to small to fight 250 pound heavyweights. If 200 pounds is the lowest weight you can make then you are plenty big enough to fight as a heavyweight. Almost every guy that wins the a 200 pound world tittle turns heavyweight anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X