Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Envy: The reason Floyd Rants on Pacquaio And now LIn

This summed it up....
    Floyd Mayweather vs. Jeremy Lin, Racism or Envy? ... by Martin Wade

Like clockwork Floyd Mayweather injected race into a situation with about as much insight as he exhibits in (24/7) family counseling. Somehow via Twitter (his rightful forum) we are led to believe that Floyd is a spokesperson for the downtrodden black athletes of the NBA. Whining about the obvious attention Jeremy Lin is receiving for his success brings to mind Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck crying about the media's "infatuation" with another barrier breaker, Barack Obama. When you are advocating from a position of majority (in this case NBA ballers) you present yourself as someone who is comfortable with the status quo; someone OK with exclusionary tactics used to judge someone for anything but performance. This from a man who went on Ustream and suggested Manny Pacquiao (a Congressman) "make me some fried rice." Naively Floyd has complained in the past about the lack of Nationalistic support from African-Americans as if there's a country called "Africa America..." What he's missing is the fact that Jeremy Lin is blowing up partly because he is American born. That little Ustream trip into Floyd's mind was overtly racist but this latest tweet took on a juvenile whiny tone; a tone that if Jeremy Lin spoke of himself in third person would quickly dismiss as "Hatin." I am not prepared to say for sure that Floyd drew that comparison to start a racial firestorm, but I am prepared to make the case that what we've heard from him in regards to Lin reeks of "Media Envy."
    http:http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/..._02172012.html

He tweeted a few times.

Not exactly a rant.

Comment

my god this Mayweather coverage is getting way more attention than it deserves. He didn't even say anything that most sports commentators weren't already talking about. The worst word in Mayweather's tweet was "all". By saying "all the hype is because he's Asian", he caused an uproar. People are simply being ignorant and naive if they don't think a part of the reason why Lin is getting this much coverage is because he's the first Asian American NBA player in the league. There are certainly other factors, but race is among them.

Comment

Imo, he just knows how to sell fights, creating a buzz/attention, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X