Collapse
No announcement yet.

marciano vs liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would favour Liston, he was at his best against fighters like Rocky. Marciano would come straight at him.

Liston was a good boxer but he was also a little slower and fought rather conservatively, which is why he didn't do great against movers.
    He did beat Eddie Machen, Folley and others but he was better when his opponent stood right in front of him, like Marciano would.

It's true that Frazier, or rather Frazier's management, didn't want a fight with Liston because they felt he was not a favourable match-up and taking a risk against Liston who no one wanted to see in the title picture again didn't make any sense. Can't blame them after the 'show' Liston put on in the rematch against Ali..
    A whole lot of other top contenders avoided him also... except Leotis Martin who fought a brilliant fight against a slowened down Liston, ending Liston's dreams of another world title shot. Unfortunately the fight ended Martin's career also.
    Nothing good came out of that fight, except the highlight reel KO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_268cv1pI
    Liston beats up Willi Besmanoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO6gqaQ5uC4
    The slugfest against Cleveland Williams
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 09-23-2008, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      How is Liston an all time great, yet Marciano is overrated? I think at their best Liston would beat Rocky. But you've made it sound as if Listons career was so much better.

Liston cleaned out his division. So did Marciano. Both held the championship in reletively weak era's. One held it longer though and retired undefeated. So what in your estimation makes Liston an all time great, but not Marciano?
      He beat a prime Patterson(twice). That alone is more of an accomplishment than marciano's best win. Marciano has 0 wins over prime great fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunney View Post
        Marciano had a 67" reach. Liston had an 86" reach, unusually long arms for his height.

But Rocky beat a lot of other big men - almost everyone he ever fought had a height and reach advantage.

Rocky wins by KO.
        Translation: Marciano is white and Liston is black so Marciano wins for that reason and that reason alone.

Comment

Liston would bloody Marciano with his jab, and unlike Charles and Walcott before him, he wouldnt lose by being caught late. He had a very good chin, and was much bigger. He could also hold his own inside when Marciano did get through.

Comment

Originally Posted by Tunney
            Marciano had a 67" reach. Liston had an 86" reach, unusually long arms for his height.

But Rocky beat a lot of other big men - almost everyone he ever fought had a height and reach advantage.

Rocky wins by KO.

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
            Translation: Marciano is white and Liston is black so Marciano wins for that reason and that reason alone.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
              He beat a prime Patterson(twice). That alone is more of an accomplishment than marciano's best win. Marciano has 0 wins over prime great fighters.

With all due respect, you can't blame a fighter for the era he fought in. Marciano did what he had to do.

And Patterson was obviously overmatched, suffering two first round blow outs. I would say his previous loss to Ingo doesn't help your argument much either.

Fact is, both Marciano and Liston were dominant during their particular period and both deserve to be considered amongst the greatest heavies.

I will concede that many fans overblow Rocky's 49-0(44) and underrate Sonny because of his two losses to Ali.

Comment

Marciano gets too much flack on the boards.

That being said, I don't like his chances here. Liston is not just a bigger, rangier fighter. He had skills too. Terrific jab, very heavy and effective left hook and straight right, nice body attack. Not just a big puncher, but an effective boxer as well. I think Liston takes this.

Comment

liston kills marciano with his jab alone..too big too strong too mean

Comment

anyone who picked maricano is a moron, all the great fighters he fought were past there prime, and he still had trouble with walcott in there first fight and with Ezzard Charles, liston ko 5.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgang View Post
                      anyone who picked maricano is a moron, all the great fighters he fought were past there prime, and he still had trouble with walcott in there first fight and with Ezzard Charles, liston ko 5.
                      Come to think of it, I wonder what the gameplan of a prime Jersey Joe Walcott would have been against Liston.Would it have been similar to his first Louis fight:be elusive,don't let him corner you and if you're on the ropes set traps for him? Personally, I think that the Liston would have been a far better match-up for Walcott than Marciano. In fact Ali took some of Walcott's moves. So it's not an unreasonable assumption to make

Comment

Working...
                      X