Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quitting boxing for weight lifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stronger at what? lifting things?? are u going to bench press your opponent?? theres alot more to punching than strength you know, ever heard of punches are born not made, i am a firm beleiver in that, ive seen guys who look like twigs who can bang harder than jacked guys, i understand u enjoy lifting weights and looking like a badass but this is boxing, were men train to fight not lift heavy things

Comment

No offense I think youre on the wrong forum ZeeBrah. Not only do you seem not to know the specifics of what makes a punch hard in terms of skill or anatomy, but it seems you dont even discuss anything about fighting/skill or even know any of the boxers mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZAH View Post
        stronger at what? lifting things?? are u going to bench press your opponent?? theres alot more to punching than strength you know, ever heard of punches are born not made, i am a firm beleiver in that, ive seen guys who look like twigs who can bang harder than jacked guys, i understand u enjoy lifting weights and looking like a badass but this is boxing, were men train to fight not lift heavy things
        As I said before, I know strength isn't everything. However, if all else is equal, but one person is stronger, the stronger person will hit harder/faster. Is that really hard to understand?

Think of it this way:

If you have two "natural-born" punchers (which is ridiculous and is just used as an excuse by weak individuals as to why they can't punch hard), they both have the same exact core strength, can both hit exactly as hard as the other one without ever touching weights, they both have equally good technique, but one of them decides to hit the weights and literally doubles his strength, you HONESTLY think that they'd still be equal?

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
        No offense I think youre on the wrong forum ZeeBrah. Not only do you seem not to know the specifics of what makes a punch hard in terms of skill or anatomy, but it seems you dont even discuss anything about fighting/skill or even know any of the boxers mentioned.
        Then tell me, what exactly makes a punch harder? Instead of telling me I don't know, you tell me. Don't link me to an article on a commercial site, you tell me and provide evidence (scholarly, peer-reviewed articles/journals).

As for not knowing "any of the boxers mentioned", it was ONE boxer. You cannot say that you know every single boxer ever. No one does.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
          If you're a boxer and you don't lift weights, you're an idiot.

And I say that if you're a boxer who wastes time on lifting weights as opposed to spending time training, you're an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            And I say that if you're a boxer who wastes time on lifting weights as opposed to spending time training, you're an idiot.
            If you can't find time for both, you need to learn to manage your time better. I fit football training, boxing training, lifting weights, and college into a very tight schedule. It's not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
              As I said before, I know strength isn't everything. However, if all else is equal, but one person is stronger, the stronger person will hit harder/faster. Is that really hard to understand?

Think of it this way:

If you have two "natural-born" punchers (which is ridiculous and is just used as an excuse by weak individuals as to why they can't punch hard), they both have the same exact core strength, can both hit exactly as hard as the other one without ever touching weights, they both have equally good technique, but one of them decides to hit the weights and literally doubles his strength, you HONESTLY think that they'd still be equal?

Then tell me, what exactly makes a punch harder? Instead of telling me I don't know, you tell me. Don't link me to an article on a commercial site, you tell me and provide evidence (scholarly, peer-reviewed articles/journals).

As for not knowing "any of the boxers mentioned", it was ONE boxer. You cannot say that you know every single boxer ever. No one does.

Well you havent been paying attention to anything I've been saying.

Punching strength doesn't come from lift heavy weights. When you heavy weights youre working out different muscle fibers that allow you to lift heavy things, not throw a punch. Its called maximal strength. A punch comes from explosive strength/twitch fibers. Thats called explosive strength. The only time lifting weights aids in punching strength is if youre putting on massive weight with it. I said that all on the first page.

Skill comes into play when you know how to be in balance, shift your weight, time your body for the most powerful punch you can throw. Which, if youre contracted from lifting heavy weights, you cant do to the fullest extent.

I dont feel like googling anything for you so I'm sure you can just google what I said and find it on your own. Its been said countless times, even in Jack Dempseys 1950's book, Bruce Lee's, the excellent Ross Enamait books, and countless other places.

So when youre complaining about people here discouraging about weights or not giving two cares, then thats your problem and nobody really is going to care because fighters dont necessarily need to lift weights.

This is fighting and skill, not looking cute. You come here to primarily talk about looking cute then youre going to bump heads.
              Last edited by Layzie Kidd; 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

If you can't provide evidence, you're just talking out of your ass.

Also, how do you obtain "explosive strength"?

Oh yeah, lifting and doing plyometrics. There's a reason Olympic sprinters and professional sports players (football, baseball, basketball, etc.) do squats and deadlifts.

And before you say those are different sports that require different training methods, just remember that hitting a baseball is EXACTLY the same as throwing a punch.

Comment

I just gave you a whole bunch of information to find on your own. This is a lost cause, its obvious youre a newbie.

Probably just a bag hitter.

Comment

I just gave you a whole bunch of information to find on your own. This is a lost cause, its obvious youre a newbie.

Probably just a bag hitter.
                    The burden of proof is on you, not me. If you want to persuade me that your position is correct, YOU provide the evidence.

I know I'm right, so I have no desire to do further research into the topic.

Comment

Well you havent been paying attention to anything I've been saying.

Punching strength doesn't come from lift heavy weights. When you heavy weights youre working out different muscle fibers that allow you to lift heavy things, not throw a punch. Its called maximal strength. A punch comes from explosive strength/twitch fibers. Thats called explosive strength. The only time lifting weights aids in punching strength is if youre putting on massive weight with it. I said that all on the first page.

Skill comes into play when you know how to be in balance, shift your weight, time your body for the most powerful punch you can throw. Which, if youre contracted from lifting heavy weights, you cant do to the fullest extent.

I dont feel like googling anything for you so I'm sure you can just google what I said and find it on your own. Its been said countless times, even in Jack Dempseys 1950's book, Bruce Lee's, the excellent Ross Enamait books, and countless other places.

So when youre complaining about people here discouraging about weights or not giving two cares, then thats your problem and nobody really is going to care because fighters dont necessarily need to lift weights.

This is fighting and skill, not looking cute. You come here to primarily talk about looking cute then youre going to bump heads.
                      Do you actually believe this bull****?

Who is your trainer? Seriously, he needs to be put down.

Comment

Working...
                      X