Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is sergio martinez an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, not an ATG in a sense of is he one of the best boxers of all time. Definitive hall of famer though, so if you put HoF and ATG together then maybe.

Comment

Sadly not IMO but I do think there is still time and I do think he could of gave most ATG middleweights absolute fits!

Comment

he is closing on floyds resume, atg or not

Comment

short answer? No

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
            Nah, not an ATG in a sense of is he one of the best boxers of all time. Definitive hall of famer though, so if you put HoF and ATG together then maybe.
            Nobody puts the two together. Or at least they shouldn't.

Comment

No........he'd need to finish out beating Golovkin, Pirog, Geale, Quillin, and completely unify/clean out Middleweight to get to that level. He bloomed to late to put together an ATG career now, unless he does that.

If he were to go to 168 and beat Andre Ward, he'd instantly become an ATG in my eyes. That'll never happen though.

Comment

I'm not even sure Sergio, if he retired today, would be in the Hall of Fame. I mean he has like 4-5 good wins against Pavlik, Williams, Dzinziruk, Macklin, and Chavez.

Corrales won titles in multiple weight classes and had about 6 good wins over R. Garcia, Gainer, Manfredy, Casamayor, Castillo, and Freitas, and he's pretty borderline on whether or not he'll end up getting in.

Castillo was a 2x LW champ and recognized as the best LW of his era. He had wins over Johnston, Bazan, J. Diaz, Casamayor, Corrales, Lazcano, and arguably a win over Mayweather. And he's seen as borderline.

Comment

he's one of my favorites, but he isn't an atg. i don't think he'll get enough big wins to be considered one, it's too late in the game for him. he isn't even hof worthy yet, let alone atg. that's just crazy talk, haha. maybe one day he can be considered to enter the hof (if he continues winning at the top level), but he's not an atg and most likely won't ever be.

Comment

Man, this place is losing the plot recently.

Martinez is a very good champion today. Big heart, decent skills, fast with good power. Also in the top ten p4p with some good wins.

However, he has only been there because of the last two years. Before that, he had done literally nothing in his entire career. Before Williams, the best win his entire career was Cintron (one of the worst robberies of recent times! He won twice for crying out loud, once by KO and still didn't get the win...). In the years leading up to Cintron, his career was no better than a club fighter. Didn't beat any former or future champions, only beat two half decent contenders and stayed busy with bums the rests of the time. His one big fight, early on, he got KOd in. He did nothing.

He's had a very good two years, and I am absolutely a huge fan, but lets all get real! We've got to stop overrating anyone and everyone these days. He's not an ATG, he's not a HOFer. He's a top champ of today that's had a great run the last two years, but has otherwise done **** all. His biggest wins are still Kelly Pavlik, Williams and Chavez Jr. You think that is worthy of being a goddamned all time great?

To get to HOF status, he would need to beat Mayweather or one of the top guys at 168 at the very least.

People are just going completely nuts these days. There are so many past fighters that don't even get talked about, and have been all but forgotten, that were ten times the fighters, with much greater resumes and careers overall, than Martinez. The list of guys waiting to get into the HOF that are greater than guys like Gatti, Hatton, Martinez, McGuigan is huge and yet because of stupid hype and overblown exaggeration like this they get talked about as greats.

If he'd been able to get going much earlier in his career, he could have been a HOFer. He's a good fighter. Unfortunately he didn't and a good two years does not put you among the greatest fighters that have ever lived. To get there, you need to have done what he's done for much longer against better fighters.

Whoever said he's one of the best of the last ten years is bloody daft too!

Just take a deep breath gents. Let it out slowly and try to calm down a bit.
                    Last edited by BennyST; 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM.

Comment

He's probably a full cut below ATG status. At least. That said, he's had an outstanding, outstanding career.

Comment

Working...
                      X