Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's ya thoughts on Whitaker as a trainer..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet Pea did a good job, he gave advice and strategy, he wasn't preachy or spewing rhetoric. Once Zab shut down in his head, there was nothing Pernell could do for him.

Wasnt he working with Joan Guzman too?

He can be considered a great trainer, it really depends on having the right charge to come through and execute to make him shine.

Comment

Originally posted by talz View Post
      I agree totally with you, but zab judah has similar attributes to what pernell had, speed, athleticism, defence and being slick. So if any1 pernell had to pass on advice to zab is the guy.
      There's no way we can compare zab's defence or slickness to Pernell's.. But I get the point..

Comment

I think we will only truly find out once he has 4/5 guys that he's trained. He has the knowledge of the game that's for sure and he gave decent advice to zab

Comment

I'm not going to write Whitaker off as a trainer based on an uninspiring performance by Judah - after all, Judah is notorious for performing poorly on the big occasion. However, Judah was a fighter who used to start quickly and seems to have taken a more defensive approach to fighting since hooking up with Whitaker. Some commentators have praised Judah for this more defensive approach and have said that the patience shows maturity and has helped him. I strongly disagree. In my view it is essential for Judah to start quickly as his hand speed and athletic talents mean that he can be successful early and this helps with his confidence. When Judah fights more defensively however, he seems to lose confidence. I think Whitaker may have tried to make Judah fight like him, which is a bad idea if you are a trainer. In my opinion the greatest virtue a trainer can have is versatility - the ability apply their boxing knowledge to fighters with different styles. We don't know if Whitaker can do that yet.
          Last edited by stefl14; 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

why didnt zab step to his right? hmmmmmmmmm?

Comment

Working...
            X