Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to move out of my house and to another city!!! How to go about doing it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check with out of state friends and/or relatives. They can tell you a lot about the area, and maybe you can even move in with them until you get on your feet. That's what i did when i went to Cali from the east coast. Had everything set-up except a job, which i got soon enough.

Then i was able to move, get a car, a nice drum set, Made some friends, but consulting with friends is the best way to go. If you don't have any friends where you're interested in going, ask your friends if they know people there, and get the info from them.

Doing it on your own can be a lot harder.
    Last edited by jazluvr; 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      my mortgage is a fraction of what it costs to rent a studio in NYC, and MA is an expensive state and i'm in a nice city.

crazy as that sounds; it's the truth

the difference is the down payment.
      b1g d1ck, baby.
      It's just out of whack, imo. NYC is great, there's always something going on but there's plenty of other cities that are much more beautiful, have better weather, or enough going on that would never lure to me paying those kind of prices.

I honestly think NYC holds their people back. Yes, there's a lot of people that live there so there's more chances for jobs and making a living but the amount it costs to live there really hinders people. If you're not rich, it's hard to build any type of savings. It's like that city swallows you whole and you aren't ever getting out or gonna have a better life.

I still like NYC but I wouldn't want to live there unless I was loaded.

Comment

It all comes down to where you want to live in NYC or any city for that matter. Some people live there rent free. Not the nicest accommodations but... You get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
          That's NYC, the most expensive city in our nation. NYC is nice, don't get me wrong but it's the biggest rip off. 1500 dollars for a 20 by 20 studio apartment, yeahhhhhhh no thanks. Just about anywhere you live in America is like half the price of NYC. I'd never want to pay that much for a place to lay my head. I'd rather spend my money doing other stuff.

I live with a few roomies in a 3 bedroom house in a great city and combined it's only 1200 dollars. Some schmuck in NYC is paying that for an apartment the size of a closet.
          I love NYC, been here my entire life, and never want to move out of it. But because it is so expensive, it's unrealistic to live here on your own in a nice place. You HAVE to get roommates.

Comment

Moving is tough. Sometimes you don't realize how much you are going to miss everything till you are away from it. If it were me I would save first, at least enough to survive a few months. It would defeat the puropse of independence if you have to call home for support. New places are fun but as the newness wears off you can regret your decision so if you are 100% sure this is what you want, make sure you have plans and even back up plans to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADYV1 View Post
              My question to you though is how do I go about doing this? I think I have maybe $1000 under my name. I doubt my parents will support me at all if I decide to go for the move to be with my girlfriend. I've been looking for a job here for the past month and have had no luck, but I feel if I make the move over to Ft.Myers then I'll have a sense of urgency on my shoulders and I'll know that, "Hey I really need a job and money because If I don't have that I might end up homeless... or end up back at my parents house which is what I want to avoid, so they don't give me the whole, ''We told you so story."
              I admire the fact that you're doing what so many young people today are afraid of doing. Given the circumstances today, the job market and the economy as a whole have led to many young adults staying with their parents longer -- even after graduating from college to help pay their loans. I think people find a lot about themselves when they battle through adversity. It could be something that you can cling to and either say that these are the cards that you were dealt with and there's nothing much that you can do and be absolutely negative about it -- or you can face it head on and motivate you to better yourself.

I would advise you to stay motivated and focus on one thing at a time. Look at what you currently have right now and use them to your advantage. Your end goal is to look for a job, in order for you to do that you want to move elsewhere to look for it, but what's holding you back is the uncertainty and most importantly not having the funds or resources to be able to support you throughout that time that you're looking for a job. So your immediate goal should be to raise some funds.

My biggest advice to you is to take your time. You are young, time is at your side -- you don't have to rush through it. Think this through and attack your problems one by one. A job is an opportunity, no matter what or where it is or how much it pays. I encourage you to swallow your pride and maybe start looking at getting a job at a fast food place or Walmart nearby temporarily -- that's if you haven't done so already. I assume you're not paying rent while at your mom and pops. Save enough money till you have enough to live on for at least three months. Three months is usually the lowest short-term rental agreement that many apartments offer. While you're there you could get a small job to support your funds, then slowly work your way up and send out your applications/resume.

Good luck.

Comment

This is how you do it:

1. Get the F.U.C.K up and move out.

Comment

Working...
                X