Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who ranks higher Joe Calzaghe or Wladamir on the atg list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I see the guys fighting now and I know I could beat them all," he declared. "That’s always the case.

"I’m Joe Calzaghe, I could beat anyone. I could step up and beat Wladimir Klitschko if I wanted."

Comment

wlad is a great fighter who was unfortunate enough to be born into the weakest era for his division with no possibility of moving up or down. still he made the best of the situation and fought the best out there and established a great legacy.

calzaghe was a good fighter who fought in a great era, but rather than to test himself he looked for every way out of the hard fights. he cherry picked easy oponents his entire career, hypejobs and old men. the only real challenge of his career, a past prime but game hopkins whupped his ass. joe refused a rematch and opted to fight the only fighter more past his prime than hopkins, roy jones and then promptly retired. staying clear of hopkins, dawson and any other challenge the way he has his entire career.

joe is a champiom and deserves credit for that but he doesnt belong in the same sentence as wlad whos a legitimate atg. calzaghe is no atg, good fighter but far from great.

Comment

Wlad has easily surpassed Calzaghe in the ATG list, easily. Wlad is 35 years old and still going strong, with no intention of stopping. You heard him when he said he wants to fight two or three more fighters.

Comment

Calzaghe (who I'm not that keen on) probably has the superior record. True enough his best wins were over great fighters slighty past his best (hopkins - and he was lucky to get the win here) a very past his best (Eubank) and completely shot (Jones). But at least he has those great names on his record - wlad doesn't have a single one. Calzaghe also has wins over a few touted young guns like Kessler and lacy (who was ruined after that fight) perhaps wlads wins over the likes of haye, byrd, chag = those ones, or perhaps surpass them but if they do surpass them its not by much.

But on top of this Joe didn't lose to people he shouldn't have - sanders, purrity etc. Joe also had a longer string of title defences than wlad. So as it currently stands i think joe's record is a little better. The biggest thing against joe is that he didn't fight the best at their best I think he would have lost to jones and hopkins if he'd fought them a few years earlier and though I'd favor him against sven he didn't fight him. Wlad is superior in regard to the fact that though his division is weak you can at least say he is obviosuly the best in it (well with one possible exception)
          Last edited by Daddy T; 03-08-2012, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            Calzaghe has the superior record. True enough his best wins were over great fighters slighty past his best (hopkins - and he was lucky to get the win here) a very past his best (Eubank) and completely shot (Jones). But at least he has those great names on his record - wlad doesn't have a single one. Calzaghe also has wins over a few touted young guns like Kessler and lacy (who was ruined after that fight) perhaps wlads wins over the likes of haye, byrd, chag = those ones, or perhaps surpass them but if they do surpass them its not by much.

But on top of this Joe didn't lose to people he shouldn't have - sanders, purrity etc. Joe also had a longer string of title defences than wlad. So as it currently stands i think joe's record is better.
            Having names on a resume doesn't mean jack. We aren't casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by S H A R K B O Y View Post
              Having names on a resume doesn't mean jack. We aren't casual fans.
              whatever, you're obviosly biased when you say one of these two is 'easily' superior to the other - they are clearly quite close and neither has beaten anyone of true worth in their prime.

Comment

This is the best way on how to judge Calzaghe and Wlad

If Wlad was in the same era as a prime Lennox Lewis or Prime Mike Tyson he still would have fought them (and got knocked the **** out) but he would have tried

If Calzaghe's prime was in the same years as Roy Jones Jr's prime

Calzaghe will be hiding in wales sniffing cocaine.

There's only four things in this world that smells like fish

Fish, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Joe Calzaghe and
                Last edited by polarcub; 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Calzaghe...

Comment

Originally posted by Dubblechin View Post
                    Have to go with Wladimir Klitschko.

Not only for his dominance at heavyweight and because of the number of champions he's beaten, but he won the Olympic Gold Medal as well. Wladimir has been a world champ at the pro and amateur levels. Calzaghe wasn't.
                    What champs?

The ONLY guy Wlad EVER beat who was ever the undisputed champion was Rahman.

Alphabet title "champions" dont count

Comment

Calzaghe.

It's pretty close though IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X