Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a reasonable amount of weight to cut?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a reasonable amount of weight to cut?

In two instances. During training leading up to the fight and then during the last few days before a fight.

I've read some dudes lose up to ten pounds on the last two days or so before a fight. Where is the area to shoot for leading up to the fight and directly before it?

Originally posted by Shinx32 View Post
    I've read some dudes lose up to ten pounds on the last two days or so before a fight. Where is the area to shoot for leading up to the fight and directly before it?
    Losing that much weight before a fight isn't healthy. Pro's can get away with it since they have an extra 24 hours to rehydrate. In the amateurs I wouldn't recommend cutting more than 2-3lbs max.

In fact, in the amateurs I don't think you should be too concerned with weight makin anyway; just eat healthy, train hard and fight at your natural weight.

Comment

I cut 4-5 pounds on the last night before a fight pretty easily. Basically, I eat my last meal no later than 7 o'clock but preferably 6 or 630, then don't eat or drink anything for the rest of the night. Next morning I wake up, maybe have a piece of toast with peanut butter depending on how I'm feeling, go weigh in, and vua la! I'll be anywhere between 4-6 pounds lighter. Then I'll of course eat very well balanced and drink gatorade water and what not. It's pretty easy, and I don't even really consider it cutting. I'll be doing it this Saturday as a matter of fact.

I have cut 13 pounds in 13 days before, from 178 to 165. I did it, but it was no fun being hungry as ****, doing a LOT of cardio everyday, then de-hydrating myself the last two days to make weight. I wouldn't reccomend it...

Comment

Me personally, I don't retain much water and carry very little fat when I'm in shape, so I find it tough to cut more than 5-6 lbs. So that's the most I do.

Comment

Originally posted by FM3O View Post
          I cut 4-5 pounds on the last night before a fight pretty easily. Basically, I eat my last meal no later than 7 o'clock but preferably 6 or 630, then don't eat or drink anything for the rest of the night. Next morning I wake up, maybe have a piece of toast with peanut butter depending on how I'm feeling, go weigh in, and vua la! I'll be anywhere between 4-6 pounds lighter. Then I'll of course eat very well balanced and drink gatorade water and what not. It's pretty easy, and I don't even really consider it cutting. I'll be doing it this Saturday as a matter of fact.

I have cut 13 pounds in 13 days before, from 178 to 165. I did it, but it was no fun being hungry as ****, doing a LOT of cardio everyday, then de-hydrating myself the last two days to make weight. I wouldn't reccomend it...
          Fuck that..lol. I'd die dropping that much if I'm already in shape.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely wasn't in the best shape at the time. I was coming back from a layoff and though my weight was lower than it was when deciding what weight to fight at. I honestly did not think I was going to be able to do it when I told my trainer I could. I was pretty ecstatic at the time of the weigh in though, making it literally at 165.0... Problem was, after all the suffering, the fighter was a no show

Comment

Working...
            X