No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate Ezzard Charles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Put Evander in there too, just for fun!!! Ray.
    The problem with that is Holyfield never weighed 175 or under even once in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      The problem with that is Holyfield never weighed 175 or under even once in his career.
      I am sure he could have in 1985 or so, but could he be effective in a 15 rounder at that age and at that weight. I highly doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        what's the youngest version of Charles we have on video?

I thought about movement too because Moore also lost to Burley, but the Charles we typically see on vid did not move nowhere nearly as much as Burley.
        At least on youtube this the oldest footage available

1946-07-29 Lloyd Marshall vs Ezzard Charles 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fBd7nfmUY

and it is pretty sweet despite the quality

I had never seen it and Charles moves more and is more aggressive than in the later hw fights i had seen

Comment

Nobody has mentioned yet that Charles was also an exceptional middleweight, in addition to being the GOAT light heavyweight and a good heavyweight.

Top 5 P4P for me.

No one's mentioned his wins over Jimmy Bivins either, who is extremely underrated.
          Last edited by SBleeder; 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Nobody has mentioned yet that Charles was also an exceptional middleweight, in addition to being the GOAT light heavyweight and a good heavyweight.

Top 5 P4P for me.

No one's mentioned his wins over Jimmy Bivins either, who is extremely underrated.
            I was thinking of mentioning all of his notable victories, Bivins being one of them. Just a great fighter overall.

Comment

The Cincinnati Cobra, one of the first truly universal modern fighters. Ali respected the skills of Charles and Walcott more than any other HW champions before himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
                The Cincinnati Cobra, one of the first truly universal modern fighters. Ali respected the skills of Charles and Walcott more than any other HW champions before himself.
                30 years later Toney mentions them too!

Comment

Dude was so slick and calm. I remeber when I started boxing I was really tense and stiff, I watched a lot of Charles' fights and learned a lot from him on to fix that. I'm not sure if he was the greatest light heavyweight ever, that division was so stacked! Foster, Moore, Tunney, Charles, Spinks etc. But I wouldn't have a problem with either of these guys being regarded as the best, they were all just so damn good! But an interesting question i would like to raise is how you think these guys would go up against the greatest cruiserweight ever, Evander Holyfield at heavyweight....

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                    Dude was so slick and calm. I remeber when I started boxing I was really tense and stiff, I watched a lot of Charles' fights and learned a lot from him on to fix that. I'm not sure if he was the greatest light heavyweight ever, that division was so stacked! Foster, Moore, Tunney, Charles, Spinks etc. But I wouldn't have a problem with either of these guys being regarded as the best, they were all just so damn good! But an interesting question i would like to raise is how you think these guys would go up against the greatest cruiserweight ever, Evander Holyfield at heavyweight....
                    it depends... can they juice up too?

Comment

Working...
                    X