Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nominee for dumbest post of 2011

Originally posted by Fooly Cooly

Chris Arreola would wreck him easy. Liston is a joke.

Can't believe how pathetic this nerd section is that you give him so much credit.
    I've seen some pretty whacky posts from time to time, but this one is right up there.......

I'll take Holmes W15 or W12, depending on what era you guys have them fight in.

Liston hit harder, but Holmes has a solid chin, lots of heart, a great jab and all-around great ring generalship. And I don't think that Holmes would have been afraid of Sonny. Lots of guys were already beat at the weigh-in when they seen Liston.

One more comparision....Holmes survived Shavers & outboxed Norton, while Sonny had trouble with speed. And Holmes also has the speed to bother Liston.

Sonny Liston beats a lot of great heavyweights. But I don't think that Holmes would have been one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
      I've seen some pretty whacky posts from time to time, but this one is right up there.......

I'll take Holmes W15 or W12, depending on what era you guys have them fight in.

Liston hit harder, but Holmes has a solid chin, lots of heart, a great jab and all-around great ring generalship. And I don't think that Holmes would have been afraid of Sonny. Lots of guys were already beat at the weigh-in when they seen Liston.

One more comparision....Holmes survived Shavers & outboxed Norton, while Sonny had trouble with speed. And Holmes also has the speed to bother Liston.

Sonny Liston beats a lot of great heavyweights. But I don't think that Holmes would have been one of them.
      ignore that scumbag troll

Comment

I stopped reading through this thread as soon as I saw "Chris Arreola wrecks Liston". Anyways poet682006 seems to be on top of things anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          I'll say it again, assuming Holmes and Liston back/shoulders were the same exact size, 3 more inches in reach = 1.5 inches in arm length.
          Ahh I gotcha now. So we'll just assume instead of going by the facts? Cool.

Comment

bump..........................

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
              I agree. But for different reasons. Holmes' jab was more frequent and accurate whereas Liston's did more damage. My concern for Larry is whether he could deal with that telephone pole.

I think it would be a pretty brutal fight with Liston accumulating many of rounds one to six and Holmes, providing he doesn't get tagged early, coming on strong in the second half. The big question is whether Larry can dodge the heavy traffic. Liston could do an awful lot of damage and sap the fight out of him before he has the chance to turn the tables when Sonny starts to slow.
              I will go for Holmes because I don't think he was vulnerable to a guy trying to go through him. A big Liston shot could do the trick, but I see Larry hitting Sonny at least 4 to Liston's 1.... Sonny may quit on his stool around the 10th.

Comment

Working...
              X