Gamboa needs a new trainer.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad night maybe

Comment

The less he leaves his chin one the longer hell last in the sport.

Boxing is hit and not get hit.

Now if your Calzaghe or Williams you can swing for the fences because your chin is IRON.

Gamboa doesnt have that luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by PR Boxer View Post
        I don't think it was the corner, I mean his trainer was giving him great advice. Gamboa stated in his interview that he wanted to show tonight that he can be athlethic and a great boxer, not only his wild self.
        As I already said, all the preparation is done in the gym, what goes on in the corner is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by king burner ii View Post
          the less he leaves his chin one the longer hell last in the sport.

Boxing is hit and not get hit.

Now if your calzaghe or williams you can swing for the fences because your chin is iron.

Gamboa doesnt have that luxury.
          care to tell me why you little b!tch ass gave me red for saying bad night maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            As I already said, all the preparation is done in the gym, what goes on in the corner is nothing.
            And what evidence do you have that the trainer did not do a good job in the gym? Like I said Gamboa stated in the post fight interview that he wanted to show people what sorts of things he could do in the ring which possibly is the reason he fought like he fought tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              I want him fighting like he needs to fight, and in this fight he didn't need to slow it down. He could have stopped his man much much earlier, but he didn't. There were times when he was throwing one punch at a time. That is something I have never seen him do, and if he makes it a habit, it will be the end of his rise to stardom.

You obviously have no concept of styles. Not every fighter is meant to fight with their hands up like Winky Wright. Not every fighter is meant to fight slow like Bernard Hopkins. Ever fighter has a style that is best suited to their abilities, physicality, build, intelligence.

Gamboa is not meant to fight slow, he has incredible stamina, good power, incredible speed, incredible legs, and incredible reflexes. They need to develop a style for him around those assets.

Hands up and slow pace is not going to work for him in the grand scheme of things, and all it will do is hurt him in the long run.
              Sure, you seem to have a terrific grasp of styles. I'll just make a summary, Gamboa is fast, but he does not have 'incredible' reflexes, it seems like this is the first time that you saw him fight, he eats punches more often than he did tonight. Logic tells us that if you have no chin and leave yourself wide open when throwing a punch, you should at least have some sort of defense, Gamboa does not. And "defense" doesn't mean going into a shell, he can have a solid output as long as he doesn't go out swinging for the fences, because any elite 122-126 pounder will only need a well placed punch to finish the show, you can ask Ponce de Leon. He is already 27, trying to build a safer style may not be simple, but it must be done if he ever wants to fight the elite. In the long run, getting KOd will hurt him a lot more than slowing down.

Comment

Originally posted by Flames Of War View Post
                I'd say Roger Mayweather.
                That's who I thought of as well....Roger or Sr.

Could you imagine if he just hung around the Mayweathers...say, Roger and Floyd Jr. Crazy.
                Last edited by Benny Leonard; 04-18-2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flames Of War View Post
                  I'd say Roger Mayweather.
                  Yeah, or Jeff. Either of those guys would be great for him, probably.
                  What he really needs is more pro experience. He just needs to crank it up when he has to, and calm down when a guy isnt going anywhere. The guy is 27 years old, with over 400 amateur fights, I dont think there is too much you can change about him at this point.

Comment

Working...
                  X