No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather – Staking His Claim As Boxing’s Best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather – Staking His Claim As Boxing’s Best

In the aftermath of Floyd Mayweather’s technically brilliant sixth round TKO over Arturo Gatti, many boxing scribes, this one included, jumped on the Mayweather express and joined Floyd in proclaiming him as the best pound for pound fighter in boxing. Such proclamations in the hazy afterglow of a magnificent performance are par for the course and usually prove to be premature. But Floyd Mayweather is an exception to this oft proved rule. He has already proven his worth against top flight competition such as Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo. Floyd's abilities seem to become sharper and sharper as he matures and enters the pantheon of pay per view attractions. He is that good. [details]

I was highly skeptical of pbf for a long time before I found out he had beaten Correles and Correles had never been in the fight and he beat Castillo twice. The Gatti fight had always been in my mind a foregone conclusion. I was watching fnf's last night and Ricky Hatton was guest analyst, he was talking about his tactics for beating zoo and I was impressed both by his boxing knowledge and his down to earth nature. I have posted already that pbf would destroy Hatton, but after seeing him on fnf I think he at least has a chance against pbf. I liked his response to Mayweather giving him ****, "He's a class act int' he."

I have a thought on Gatti v Mayweather tho, the old time trainers always said you work with a fighters natural attributes, if your guy is a boxer you don't try to turn him into a brawler and vice versa, you work with what your boy brings to the ring and teach him to use his skills to their best affect. So if he is a walk up slugger you teach him to move his head etc. Gattis' only chance was to rough up Floyd and LET HIS HANDS GO! You aint gonna win by laying back, not against a pure boxer like pbf. But I suppose it's easy to say when I am not the one who had to fight him.

Comment

Working...
    X