No announcement yet.

HBO's Compubox Stats are often wrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's Compubox Stats are often wrong

Some people believe thay come from a laser-guided computer and they are the absolute truth.

But the reality is that there is just an imperfect human being counting punches. And the one at HBO seems to have a very pro-US bias.

Watch the Jacobs-Pirog fight in HD and count the landed punches, then compare yours to that HBO guy's "Compubox" numbers.

Watch how he counted punches by Chad Dawson last night that fell short, while somehow not seeing some Pascal shots that clearly landed. And he counted MANY punches by Devon Alexander last week that clearly missed.

Punches landed are what determine who wins in the amateurs, except when there's a stoppage. We've all seen how the amateur judges have their biases and make mistakes, so it shouldn't surprise us how HBO's "Compubox" guy makes mistakes too.

Last night, Jim Lampley actually mentioned the guy who counts the punches.

Comment

I really had problems sometimes understanding the judge's scoring of many rounds and my total disagreement with them sometimes , and how it (compubox) works . I guessed it was fully computerized using image processing , but now I guess I was wrong.

Comment

People do tend to read too much into punch numbers.

I especially hate when they say a guy threw 1000 punches a round so he deserves to win on sheer activity, not counting how many actually landed and did damage.

Clean, effective punching. No?

Comment

Anyone who uses compubox to judge fights is fooling themselves. All you need are your own eyes to do the job.

Comment

I actually thought the Compubox was done by computer so this is news to me. I think it's a bit crazy to assume that HBO would cheat like that just to sway the viewers way of scoring. First off anyone that knows anything about boxing should not be scoring rounds straight off punches thrown to punches landed and secondly the judges that are scoring the fight are not using the HBO stream anyways(to my knowledge), so they aren't being influenced. This conspiracy theory about HBO hating Europeans is crazy to me. There has been plenty of fighters outside of America that have made HBO a boat load of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
              Anyone who uses compubox to judge fights is fooling themselves. All you need are your own eyes to do the job.
              Yes GREAT post. What they say and show on the compubox stats during fights should in no way impact your thoughts on who won rounds and the whole fight

For example if you watch a round and beleive Pascal took that one and then the Compubox stats say Dawson landed more punches, MANY people will change thier mind about who won that round AFTER seeing the stats.......BIG mistake

Comment

Who cares about Compubox?

Comment

Pascal won in the power department however.

Comment

exactly this aint' an amateur point based systme, punches have power behind them too. i don't care if a guy lands 20 punches in one round but they're all weak arm punches and another guy lands 3 super heavy hail mary bombs and damn near KO's the other guy he's still winning the round to me

Comment

Working...
                    X