No announcement yet.

Teddy ATlas ''Mike Tyson Dosen't Deserve To Be In The IBHOF''

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtli02 View Post
    wtf is wrong with that guy on your avatar? who is that?
    I just assumed it was him.

Comment

well it's obvious atlas doesn't like tyson, so i wouldn't be surprised if he said that. it's just an opinion at the end of the day from someone who personally dislikes him. tyson is in for good now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Its a myth that to beat Tyson all you had to do was stand up to the guy and not be intimidated. Tyson prevailed plenty of times against fighters who genuinely did not appear scared and actually fought pretty well against him. Here are a few:

Jose Ribalta: Granted, he wasn't in Tyson's league but he fought well, took some serious punishment and at one point after being dropped was asked by the ref if he wanted to continue. His reply was 'yea, hell yea'. His gutsy performance nearly pushed him into a rematch situation a few years after. I seem to recall a post fight interview (possibly after the Carl Williams fight) where he was touted as a future opponent.

James Quick Tillis: Lasted the distance, won several rounds and fought well. Even fought exhibitions with Tyson after this fight!

Tony Tucker: World class amateur, undefeated. Lasted the distance, also won several rounds (some even argued that the overall scoring should have been much closer) and even took to showboating in the later rounds.

Tyrell Biggs: World class amateur again undefeated. Came in confident, trying to box like Ali. Was given a savage, prolonged beating.

Larry Holmes: Granted, he was old, ring rusty and was rushed into the contest but he certainly didn't seem intimidated and fought quite well before being knocked out.

Tony Tubbs: He was clearly in no shape to be fighting Tyson but didn't appear fazed at all. I seem to remember the commentator giving him the first round, in which he landed some eye catching combinations.

Frank Bruno: First time round Frank was really fired up, and we all know that he rocked Tyson in that first round and did what he could before being knocked out.

Carl Williams: He was another that seemed super confident before the match and certainly lets his fists go before being knocked out.

Razor Ruddock: In both meetings he appeared unfazed, stood up to Tyson and landed savage punches. Tyson described his punches as 'mule kicks'. He also says to this day that he is very proud of these performances as both fights were tough and he prevailed in wars of attrition.

These men were beaten by sheer skill and power despite standing up to Tyson.

In his loses to Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield (first time), he was genuinely beaten by better guys on the night and showed heart and the ability to withstand punishment round after round both times. Mike took good beatings both nights and was genuinely gracious in defeat.

We all know that it fell apart for him after then. But in anything like his prime he was only going to be beaten by men who not only were able to stand up to him but also had to be technically superior and better conditioned on the nights that he fought them. Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield certainly were that on those respective nights.

Surely that is what sport is about, the better man prevailing on the night? THAT Buster Douglas and THAT Evander Holyfield would I'm sure have beaten plenty of other hall of fame heavyweights on their night.
        In retirement Larry Holmes commentated that Mike was the only fighter who ever scared him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Its a myth that to beat Tyson all you had to do was stand up to the guy and not be intimidated. Tyson prevailed plenty of times against fighters who genuinely did not appear scared and actually fought pretty well against him. Here are a few:

Jose Ribalta: Granted, he wasn't in Tyson's league but he fought well, took some serious punishment and at one point after being dropped was asked by the ref if he wanted to continue. His reply was 'yea, hell yea'. His gutsy performance nearly pushed him into a rematch situation a few years after. I seem to recall a post fight interview (possibly after the Carl Williams fight) where he was touted as a future opponent.

James Quick Tillis: Lasted the distance, won several rounds and fought well. Even fought exhibitions with Tyson after this fight!

Tony Tucker: World class amateur, undefeated. Lasted the distance, also won several rounds (some even argued that the overall scoring should have been much closer) and even took to showboating in the later rounds.

Tyrell Biggs: World class amateur again undefeated. Came in confident, trying to box like Ali. Was given a savage, prolonged beating.

Larry Holmes: Granted, he was old, ring rusty and was rushed into the contest but he certainly didn't seem intimidated and fought quite well before being knocked out.

Tony Tubbs: He was clearly in no shape to be fighting Tyson but didn't appear fazed at all. I seem to remember the commentator giving him the first round, in which he landed some eye catching combinations.

Frank Bruno: First time round Frank was really fired up, and we all know that he rocked Tyson in that first round and did what he could before being knocked out.

Carl Williams: He was another that seemed super confident before the match and certainly lets his fists go before being knocked out.

Razor Ruddock: In both meetings he appeared unfazed, stood up to Tyson and landed savage punches. Tyson described his punches as 'mule kicks'. He also says to this day that he is very proud of these performances as both fights were tough and he prevailed in wars of attrition.

These men were beaten by sheer skill and power despite standing up to Tyson.

In his loses to Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield (first time), he was genuinely beaten by better guys on the night and showed heart and the ability to withstand punishment round after round both times. Mike took good beatings both nights and was genuinely gracious in defeat.

We all know that it fell apart for him after then. But in anything like his prime he was only going to be beaten by men who not only were able to stand up to him but also had to be technically superior and better conditioned on the nights that he fought them. Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield certainly were that on those respective nights.

Surely that is what sport is about, the better man prevailing on the night? THAT Buster Douglas and THAT Evander Holyfield would I'm sure have beaten plenty of other hall of fame heavyweights on their night.
          Atlas is wrong to say you only needed to stand up to Tyson to beat him. That's not true because Tyson had a very good chin and excellent head movement, which made him very difficult to hit.

But if you could stand up to him and had the tools to a) catch Tyson and b) hurt him you stood a healthy chance of exposing his fatal character flaw - his admitted terror of being bullied.

Many of the above people stood up to Tyson - at least for two or three rounds (if that) - but none really could find a way to catch and hurt Tyson sufficiently.

Ribalta just wasn't good enough. Bruno did catch Tyson with one good punch - and that was it. The guy was terrified of him. Holmes was way past his best. Biggs just didn't take it seriously. Tucker is probably the best candidate above - but again, he didn't put sufficient pressure on Tyson. Most probably because he was afraid of being hit.

Douglas wasn't afraid and possessed the tools to catch and hurt Tyson. And Holyfield has never been afraid of anyone in his life. Tyson could fight him for eternity and never win. Holyfield knew Tyson's weakness and knew Tyson couldn't intimidate him.
          Last edited by Mugwump; 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Teddy who? Oh that wanna be tough guy who hates Tyson, was/is a ***** trainer, a Nothing fighter, a poor commentator who couldnt pick a winner if he had a crystal ball and all round knob jockey..... Yeah i'll pass on his opinion thanks.

Atlas is terrible in general and overly harsh when it comes to Tyson

Comment

To be fair to Atlas, I don't think I'd be all too willing to forgive and forget had the then scariest man in the world taken a feel of my daughter. That kind of thing tends to leave an impression on a person.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
                It wasn't his daughter. Tyson was only age 15 at the time.
                Ah, right. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                  Ah, right. I didn't know that. Thanks.
                  Tyson disputes Teddy even pulled a gun. At least i think thats what i heard him say just recently when talking about Atlas. Mike clearly dosnt care for Teddy

Comment

Teddy put a gun to tysons head and pulled the trigger but the gun was unloaded or it didn't fire.

None of you know tyson the way teddy does so whatever you say is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      In retirement Larry Holmes commentated that Mike was the only fighter who ever scared him.
                      I think he probably got very scared in the 4th round. Ha ha

But he didn't seem particularly nervous in prefight press conferences and in the ring beforehand......and he didn't fight like a terrified fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X