No announcement yet.

Fighters like Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters like Duran?

Is there any recent fighter out there with a similar style to Manos de Piedra? I'd love to know.

Probably loads but none who were as successful.

On a side note I remember when the Ruelas brothers were coming up & their promoter said Gabe would be like Duran & Rafael would be like Arguello.

They both did ok but fell a long way short of those lofty targets.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
      Probably loads but none who were as successful.

On a side note I remember when the Ruelas brothers were coming up & their promoter said Gabe would be like Duran & Rafael would be like Arguello.

They both did ok but fell a long way short of those lofty targets.
      I have heard of those guys. I also read an article in a boxing magazine calling edwin rosario as the duran of the 80s. Funny duran was still fighting in the eighties just against bigger men and usally in poor condition than the roberto of the 70's.

Comment

Not recently, but Julio Cesar Chavez, Sr. is the fighter that comes closest to being like Duran. And to some degree, pre-Hearns Pipino, as he was never the same after.
        Last edited by Panamaniac; 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Chavez Sr. is sort of like Duran.

Castillo is sort of like Chavez Sr.

So I guess I would say Castillo

Comment

Although some might give a guffaw, I'd actually say James Toney is the closest. A lot of similar stuff, but Toney was focused more on waiting for counter opportunities whereas Duran created counter opportunities. A lot of similarities to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              Although some might give a guffaw, I'd actually say James Toney is the closest. A lot of similar stuff, but Toney was focused more on waiting for counter opportunities whereas Duran created counter opportunities. A lot of similarities to me.
              did james sneer as well as Duran?

Comment

Working...
              X