No announcement yet.

Max Baer...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Baer...

Since Cinderella Man has come out in cinemas, people around the world have become familiar with the legacies of Max Baer and James J. Braddock. Until I saw the movie, I had no idea who Braddock was. However, I had heard Baer's name before and knew that he was champion of the world at some stage.

After doing some research on Max Baer, it is interesting to note that he did in fact kill at least Frankie Campbell in the ring. He was cleared of manslaughter charges, but banned from boxing in California for a year. He was also responsible for the injuries that eventually killed Ernie Schaaf.

Keeping all of this in mind, it could be argued that Baer's punches were more deadly than George Foreman's. It also begs the question that if Baer had not lost to Braddock, what would he have done with the rest of his career?

Gloves back then weren't as soft as they are now. Foreman, Tyson, Shavers and Frazier would have been just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf
      Gloves back then weren't as soft as they are now. Foreman, Tyson, Shavers and Frazier would have been just the same.
      Yup. And fighters fought alot more often back then. This could make them more vulnerable for injury and possible death. Nowadays fighters are being "banned" for a period of time after a ko loss.

Max Baer was powerful, but I don't think he was at Foremans level.

Comment

baer was an awesome fighter. straight brawler. and he would talk **** too. foreman would have blown him up though.

Comment

it's not so much a matter of the gloves being softer, but being thicker and bigger overall.

it's interesting to note the way bigger, thicker gloves have changed the way boxers' punch. bareknuckle boxings' punches were very different than the type of punches seen with the introduction of gloves. and throughout the years, gloves have generally gotten bigger thus protecting a fighter's hands more and lessening immediate damage. the down side to thicker gloves is that you won't sustain as much immediate damage from them. but over time you will because of fighters being able to put more power into thier punches will have a bigger impact on the way your head absorbs a punch. brains tend to get more "rattled". with thinner gloves, you had to be carefull not to hit someone so as to injure your own hand.

and fighter's also don't really have to condition thier hand as much as they used to.

Comment

Baer hit nearly as hard as Foreman, but had a better chin. He had never been floored until Louis, and Joe described knocking him out as difficult a task as "knocking a brick out of a wall".

Foreman was durable in that he'd get knocked down or get staggered but he'd recover fairly quickly and get back into the mix. Baer was rarely seriously hurt. In fact, against Joe Louis, after absorbing hellacious punishment, he took a knee a let himself get counted out.

Most guys who fought both said that Baer hit much harder than even Joe Louis.

I'm not sure if you can even say with any confidence that Foreman hit harder than Baer. In terms of two fisted power, okay I'm with you there, but Baer's right hand ranks with anyone else's in heavyweight history.

It's a shame it had been recently injured going into the Louis fight. Biggest night of his career and he didn't have his biggest weapon with him. I think Louis would have still destroyed him, but he would have put up a better fight for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
              Baer hit nearly as hard as Foreman, but had a better chin. He had never been floored until Louis, and Joe described knocking him out as difficult a task as "knocking a brick out of a wall".

Foreman was durable in that he'd get knocked down or get staggered but he'd recover fairly quickly and get back into the mix. Baer was rarely seriously hurt. In fact, against Joe Louis, after absorbing hellacious punishment, he took a knee a let himself get counted out.

Most guys who fought both said that Baer hit much harder than even Joe Louis.

I'm not sure if you can even say with any confidence that Foreman hit harder than Baer. In terms of two fisted power, okay I'm with you there, but Baer's right hand ranks with anyone else's in heavyweight history.

It's a shame it had been recently injured going into the Louis fight. Biggest night of his career and he didn't have his biggest weapon with him. I think Louis would have still destroyed him, but he would have put up a better fight for sure.
              Baer was also sitting on a barstool 2 hours before the Louis fight.

as far as the killing thing goes..he did "kill" two people in the ring, but he was nothing close to the character portrayed in that horrible movie. Max Baer was a very good guy. He also paid to have the kids of the men he killed go to college.

I thought Opie should be ashamed of he he portrayed Baer.

Comment

anybody ever watch the beverly hilbillies with baer's son, max baer jr. as jethro. he was so dumb in that show. one of the funniest sitcom's of all time.

Comment

[[[Keeping all of this in mind, it could be argued that Baer's punches were more deadly than George Foreman's. It also begs the question that if Baer had not lost to Braddock, what would he have done with the rest of his career?]]]
                  =========================

Baer was an all time great natural talent, but he was undisciplined and unfocused. That's why he didn't rebuild his career to challenge for the title after Braddock. Read the book Cinderella Man by Mike DeLisa. It's probably the best bio on him and much better than it's trash namesake with the drunk Aussie who can't even fight a hotel clerk without getting all girlish.

As far as Baer's power, well, yeah, he had a great right hand, but think what Foreman, Shavers, or Tyson would've done in 6oz gloves like they used to use. Also keep in mind that they stop fights sooner now whereas fighters used to take horrific beatings in Baer's day and could often be seen fighting again within the month.

Comment

i think max baer was a great fighter, he was the entertainer of his time. he lacked discipline, if he had accuired this his 'powers' would have reached further heights.

Comment

Working...
                    X