No announcement yet.

THE ONE WE MISSED: Trinidad vs Quartey at 147 prime for prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercadojglb View Post
    Does anyone know why the fight was never made?
    The fight was actually made at one point, but if I am not mistaken Tito got hurt so they had to call off the fight, which led to Quartey fighting De La Hoya instead. Of course, Tito would go on to beat DLH, while Quartey moved to 154 in a loss to Vargas, and then Tito beat yet another guy who had a win over Ike in Fernando Vargas. So at that point there was no demand for a Quartey fight anymore. After the fight with DLH, Quartey just didn't seem to be the same fighter IMO. I am not sure if it was because he was crushed by losing a fight that many of us thought he won, or if it was because he made so much money from that fight that he could live like a king in Ghana so didn't have the motivation anymore, or a combination of both.

Comment

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
      The fight was actually made at one point, but if I am not mistaken Tito got hurt so they had to call off the fight, which led to Quartey fighting De La Hoya instead. Of course, Tito would go on to beat DLH, while Quartey moved to 154 in a loss to Vargas, and then Tito beat yet another guy who had a win over Ike in Fernando Vargas. So at that point there was no demand for a Quartey fight anymore. After the fight with DLH, Quartey just didn't seem to be the same fighter IMO. I am not sure if it was because he was crushed by losing a fight that many of us thought he won, or if it was because he made so much money from that fight that he could live like a king in Ghana so didn't have the motivation anymore, or a combination of both.

The fight was talked about in 1997 but I don't think it actually got made. The winner would have gotten the cash cow fight against Oscar which everyone was pining for at the time. Quartey ended up getting the first shot at Oscar because of his poor showing (it was said he had the flu) against Jose Luis Lopez. He had been off for nearly a year and a half before the DeLaHoya fight because because Oscar wouldn't let him take a fight in between if he wanted that payday. This is going by memory so I may not have my facts straight.

As far as Quartey-Tito.......I'll take Felix by late stoppage. Ike could be hurt and Trinidad was brutal at 147. Quartey just didn't have the ability to get on his bike like Oscar, he'd be standing in the pocket and thats the wrong place to be against Felix. Combine that with Trinidads advantages in height and reach and Im pretty comfortable with my pick. Beside Winky Wright, who Tito was past prime for, the only two fighters to beat him, Oscar and Hop (I know Oscar didn't get the win), kept him turning and moving. Quartey just doesn't bring that to the table.

Comment

I am glad to see Trinidad pulled ahead in the poll as he should. His left hook was one of the best in history. Oscar dropped Quartey with a left hook and Trinidad had a faster, harder left hook than Oscar and that's the punch he would finish Quartey with. Trinidad could be knocked down but never KOed even by Hopkins. His father stopped that fight with Trinidad on his feet at the count of four and ready to fight on. Trinidad would die before he would quit. He had great stamina and he ran Marathons for fun. Quartey was very good but Trinidad was better in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mercadojglb View Post
          Does anyone know why the fight was never made?
          I feel bad for Ike that year 1998, he had a scheduled bout (another one missed fight) with Whitaker that was called off, then Trinidad vs Quartey was being discussed next, but the money man at that time, Oscar Dela Hoya, gets to fight the best out there, and he fought Quartey, I remember Tito also having some problems with Don King that he almost took a year off.

among the four of them, it was only Quartey who never got a chance to face the other two best welterweights, a 16-month layoff and he beat a prime Dela Hoya only to be robbed by the judges.

Comment

Fantasy Fights subforum, prick:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/fo...sprune=-1&f=10

Comment

Judging by how Trinidad does against pure boxers, and how good of a pure boxer Quartey is, I got ike.

Comment

Bazooka Ike's jab owns Tito.

Comment

Whoa, Quartey is getting more votes...I'm kind of surprise by that. Quartey was very goo though. But, Tito was just a tad bit better at 147. He would have beaten Ike in a very good competitive fight. A very close fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

The fight was talked about in 1997 but I don't think it actually got made. The winner would have gotten the cash cow fight against Oscar which everyone was pining for at the time. Quartey ended up getting the first shot at Oscar because of his poor showing (it was said he had the flu) against Jose Luis Lopez. He had been off for nearly a year and a half before the DeLaHoya fight because because Oscar wouldn't let him take a fight in between if he wanted that payday. This is going by memory so I may not have my facts straight.

As far as Quartey-Tito.......I'll take Felix by late stoppage. Ike could be hurt and Trinidad was brutal at 147. Quartey just didn't have the ability to get on his bike like Oscar, he'd be standing in the pocket and thats the wrong place to be against Felix. Combine that with Trinidads advantages in height and reach and Im pretty comfortable with my pick. Beside Winky Wright, who Tito was past prime for, the only two fighters to beat him, Oscar and Hop (I know Oscar didn't get the win), kept him turning and moving. Quartey just doesn't bring that to the table.
                    I think it was made but then Quartey had legal problems with his promoter. They went to court which canceled the Tito fight.

Oscar wouldn't let Quartey get a fight in between, while Oscar was able to get one against Chavez 2 months before the original date for the fight was going to take place...And, then it got postponed because of Oscar phantom cut. Remember Quartey manager or trainer bringing a magnifying glass to a press conference to see Oscar cut? Anyways, it delayed the fight which made Quartey even more inactive

I agree, about Tito beating Ike.

Comment

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
                      The Ike Quartey that fougt at 147 lbs was a beast, just watch the De la Hoya fight, he just wasn't the same after moving up to 147 IMO. I also suspect that the De La Hoya fight might have broken his spirit as well because he just didn't seem to have the same focus after that.
                      Ummm.......No.

Quartey was already losing a step before even fighting Oscar. You could tell that by the Lopez fight that Quartey wasn't in his prime anymore. Hence why Oscar picked him.

Comment

Working...
                      X