Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Prince Naseem Hamed an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on guys you are being brutal fellas, he was the hardest hitting featherweight(besides armstrong) of all time and won many good fights his fight with kelly was great..........show some love

Comment

Originally posted by The Viper View Post
      Come on guys you are being brutal fellas, he was the hardest hitting featherweight(besides armstrong) of all time and won many good fights his fight with kelly was great..........show some love
      you asked the question if he's an all time great and he's not. his resume is far to weak. hall of famer, sure, all time great, no.

Comment

The single greatest fighter that I've ever had the pleasure of watching inside the ring.The sport misses the great man dearly.

Originally posted by 1sballotHOF View Post
        You thought Floyd was the master of ducking? Prince Naseem, ducked EVERYONE.....

Marquez,Barrera,Morales and Tapia - all turned down the Prince within a single summer.

Comment

No, of course not.

Very entertaining fighter though.

Comment

topic??????????
            His chance of ATG vanished when Barrera exposed him and doggied him in the ring.

Comment

No. He may have had the potential to get there, but lost focus on his career. Not that I would ever pick him over that version of Barrera.

Comment

Danny Lopez and Sandy Saddler are on his level, Armstrong didn't have close to the punching power these guys had.

Comment

The to pages of opinions I have read here show me how often fans who really know nothing about real boxing want to express themselves on paper. Only one poster had it right.

Hamed ruled the featherweights like a king, and basically for years was completely unbeatable He had a very unusual and almost comical style which left him open to taking a few punches, but he always got up and demolished his opponent.

It's a fact that Marquez and Morales refused to come to England for career highest purses to face him, There were also another 2 top guys whose names I've forgotten. I remember Larry Merchant going into it rather deeply and analytically one time, and I've read several articles about it. It was well talked about then. What you guys are dribbling is like the myth that Marquez liked to spread...that he'd never lost a fight-when he'd already lost at least 3. He talked about being robbed against Chris John. Well....I read the report of the boxing journalist who travelled there to cover the fight and he reported that Marquez was well beaten. Just yesterday, on another boxing site I read a deep article by Greg Leon, which in the course of it, mentioned that he actually saw that fight, and Marquez lost very comfortably, that John was a very good fighter..... His closest fight was with Kevin Kelley, whom he KO'd in 4 being down twice himself.

And, if you guys had ever bothered to really delve into boxing, you would have learned that Hamed had the most brittle hands on record. They almost crumbled by looking at them. His power was so huge that he routinely broke his hands, and eventually, after losing interest in the last 3 years of his career, quit because of it. It was much publcised at the time, and he's been talking about it for a very long time. He used to show pictures of his hands and they were truly gruesome.
                  And THAT's why he retired.

All this is very well known to real boxing people, and I don't know why you guys don't know this, why can't you talk about what you know, not about what you feel or heard some crapper report. There's a lot more behind careers and fights which, although discussed, are not hammered to death, so you never came across them. Maybe you could look up, "why Hamed retired" or "Naseem Hamed's hands", you know better than I how to research internet.

He was completely uninterested in the Barrera fight, didn't train at all, his trainer, with whom he fell out over it, reported all this to the newspapers etc.
                  He lost 116-112 on all 3 cards, hardly a real beating, but humbling for an ego like his....but by then he didn't care. And remember, he was only a really little guy.
                  So...go and learn..

Comment

he was easily the most exciting boxer i have ever seen nobody will ever be able to throw punches from angles that he did and he hit like a welterweight, kell brook tries to box like him but he is ****, if he fought berrerra in 96/97/98 when he was calling him out then he would of easily ko,d him he wasnt the same fighter in 2000 not even half the fighter he was.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                      Danny Lopez and Sandy Saddler are on his level, Armstrong didn't have close to the punching power these guys had.
                      Armstrong had more power. As a welterweight, which was his true natural class. It's shocking he was able to drain himself to FW and capture a title there.

Comment

Working...
                      X