No announcement yet.

What's Wrong w/ My Hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Wrong w/ My Hook

My lead hand aches whenever I place my fist vertically.

How do I improve my hook so this no longer happens?

Which knuckles should I aim with when hooking?

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post

first two knuckles, turn that fist over and have your elbow raised just a little higher than the fist when it lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      first two knuckles, turn that fist over and have your elbow raised just a little higher than the fist when it lands.
      I'll start today later during training. Haven't been doing this until now

Comment

For better clarification does your lead hand (left or right if your southpaw) hurt when you only throw a hook, or do other punches bother it as well?

If you give me a better description of what's going on I'll try to make a video to help you solve your problem tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by palacboxing View Post
          For better clarification does your lead hand (left or right if your southpaw) hurt when you only throw a hook, or do other punches bother it as well?

If you give me a better description of what's going on I'll try to make a video to help you solve your problem tomorrow.
          Only the hook triggers a strain on end my Ulna bone (the bump at the end of our wrists)

Merely making a fist and turning it vertically causes the strain.

I'm southpaw. My hands are fine throwing other punches.

Comment

Only the hook triggers a strain on end my Ulna bone (the bump at the end of our wrists)

To me it sounds like you are raising that elbow to high, lower your elbow, step in with your right foot, twist your hips/punch, and pivot out. Sounds maybe like you might be crowding the bag or sparring partner a lil to much. Stepping and pivtoing will keep whatever you are hitting at range so you shouldnt have such an impact on the wrist. Also you may want to wrap your wands focusing a lil moer on the wrist. I would lay off the heavy bag for a week or two.

Comment

when you say that your fist is verticle, are the knuckles up and down or horizontal when the fist lands?

Your elbow being high will not cause the problem that he is having, landing a punch with your wrist being limp will.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                when you say that your fist is verticle, are the knuckles up and down or horizontal when the fist lands?

Your elbow being high will not cause the problem that he is having, landing a punch with your wrist being limp will.
                Knuckles up and down when fist lands

I have no problem when throwing the hook with horizontal knuckles

Comment

Knuckles up and down when fist lands

I have no problem when throwing the hook with horizontal knuckles
                  Sounds like your wrist could could be bending a bit. Sometimes when people throw a hook like that at little bit longer range, they have the tendency to bend their wrist in a bit to avoid cuffing with the punch.

Comment

Progress update.

My hand feels great now that I land with the first two knuckles.

Thanks for help everyone

Comment

Working...
                    X