No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gennady Golovkin Named Sole WBA Middleweight Champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gennady Golovkin Named Sole WBA Middleweight Champion

The World Boxing Association announced that Daniel Geale will be stripped of his “super champion” status and Gennady Golovkin is named as its sole WBA middleweight champion.

President Gilberto Mendoza made the declaration at the WBA’s 91st Annual Convention in Jakarta.

Geale won the WBA “Super Champion” title when he unified the WBA and IBF titles by winning a decision over existing WBA “Super Champion” Felix Sturm on September 1 in Oberhausen, Germany.

However, because of Sturm’s long overdue mandatory obligation to Golovkin, the WBA declared the winner of Sturm/Geale bout must face the winner of Golovkin/Grzegorz Proksa by December 31. [Click Here To Read More]

The Martinez fight just looked a whole lot more make-able.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

If only the WBC did this with Canelo...

Comment

So Geale is being punished for Sturm holding the belt hostage all these years? That doesn't seem fair at all.

Comment

I am a big GGG fan but i have to admit that he's high risk/low reward for sexy sergio.

Comment

... The World Boxing Association announced that Daniel Geale will be stripped of his “super champion” status and Gennady Golovkin is named as its sole WBA middleweight champion.

Justice has been done, eventually!

I was fed up already with the usual stereotype: ... Just yet, Golovkin didn't prove himself in the USA... a.s.o.

Comment

My only question is why strip Geale so fast ,yet Sturm held on to that belt fighting no one worth mentioning for years? Why wasn't Geale allowed at least 1 voluntary defense?

Comment

Bit hard on Geale I think, even if he had no intention of fighting GGG by 31st December, he should have been given up to that date before stripping him

It seems the WBA know a good thing when they see one and GGG is not a bad person to hang your strap on

The sooner all the boxers agree to disregard the belts the better

Comment

and another champ with out fighting for the belt, they should of left it vacant then made a mandatory fight for it, with the 1 and 2 challenger

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
                    If only the WBC did this with Canelo...
                    The WBC must be getting money under the table from GBP to keep away mandatory contenders that's obvious.

Comment

Working...
                    X