Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    Damn, that wasn't cool.
    Sure itwasn't, but as for how he treated his wife you can read this

"He was always champion,” she wrote. “Our personal dif-
    ferences had nothing to do with how great he was in the ring
    and I hated the way many columnists vacillated. Even when
    he’d have my heart in pieces and, yes, maybe my eyes and body
    badly bruised!” --Made about the time when people were calling Sugar finished after his loss to Carmen Basillo.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Since you mentioned his son Ronnie, I'll add that he became a tremendous roller derby skater. His athleticism was obvious.
      Sure mate here's some thing about Ronnie and his father, with your info thrown in

Sugar was strangely invisible, but by the fall and winter of
      1959 his oldest son, Ronnie, to whom Sugar had never been
      much of a father, was grabbing sports headlines as a member of
      the New York Chiefs roller derby team. Ronnie, twenty-one,
      said he became interested in roller derby after watching it on tel-
      evision. “I never cared for fighting,” he told a reporter. Perhaps
      his distaste for the sport stemmed from the distant relationship
      he had with his father. “My dad was Dad to lots of children,
      except his own,” he said. He also recalled how his father had
      once knocked him down. “I looked up at him and said does that
      make you feel like a champion now?”

But I believe ultimately most of our lives can be dissected and we all make mistakes some more than others , so while its true Sugar made mistakes, and may be sometimes a bit much we can just concentrate on his ring career and ignore these things. Everyone has their own demons some more so than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        Sure itwasn't, but as for how he treated his wife you can read this

"He was always champion,” she wrote. “Our personal dif-
        ferences had nothing to do with how great he was in the ring
        and I hated the way many columnists vacillated. Even when
        he’d have my heart in pieces and, yes, maybe my eyes and body
        badly bruised!” --Made about the time when people were calling Sugar finished after his loss to Carmen Basillo.
        Seems like lots of boxers have domestic problems. Even the ones with the most character like Joe Louis had these troubles. It's not the domestic stuff that bothers me, but the shadiness with money in business dealings.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          Seems like lots of boxers have domestic problems. Even the ones with the most character like Joe Louis had these troubles. It's not the domestic stuff that bothers me, but the shadiness with money in business dealings.
          As it should my friend,as it should, almost all great champs Louis,Ali , Sugar had great domestic problems but it doesn't make them a criminal. Domestic affairs are domestic affairs. Though Sugar was problematic in more than one area, by all accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
            As it should my friend,as it should, almost all great champs Louis,Ali , Sugar had great domestic problems but it doesn't make them a criminal. Domestic affairs are domestic affairs. Though Sugar was problematic in more than one area, by all accounts.
            You're a quality poster.

Say it like it is without causing a riot.

Green K given.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              You're a quality poster.

Say it like it is without causing a riot.

Green K given.
              Thanks a lot my friend.

Comment

Damn, haha any of you ever read the Sugar Ray Robinson book "Sugar Ray"? I dont rememeber reading anything about hitting women or children. He seemed like a real honest guy with class in the book that got the woman of his dreams because their was a chapter just about her.

But its whatever, it was a really good book, I loved it and everybody has their issues even in more then one area, it happens. I say that because I don't know him so I ain't gonna judge him, he was a badass athlete and thats what Ima remember him for. Whoopin that ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                  Damn, haha any of you ever read the Sugar Ray Robinson book "Sugar Ray"? I dont rememeber reading anything about hitting women or children. He seemed like a real honest guy with class in the book that got the woman of his dreams because their was a chapter just about her.

But its whatever, it was a really good book, I loved it and everybody has their issues even in more then one area, it happens. I say that because I don't know him so I ain't gonna judge him, he was a badass athlete and thats what Ima remember him for. Whoopin that ass!
                  The book "Sugar Ray" was an autobiography. So you can't be surprised that SRR didn't make himself look bad. I read that book many years ago. It was a good read, but an autobiography is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X