No announcement yet.

Peņalosa challenges Rafael Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peņalosa challenges Rafael Marquez

Gerry Peņalosa just won the World Boxing Foundation 115 crown. But he struggled to make the weight. He focuses his sight on IBF 118 champ Rafael Marquez. Marquez's aggressive style suites well with the accurate counter-punching Peņalosa. Take your pick.

Originally posted by Epie2
    Gerry Peņalosa just won the World Boxing Foundation 115 crown. But he struggled to make the weight. He focuses his sight on IBF 118 champ Rafael Marquez. Marquez's aggressive style suites well with the accurate counter-punching Peņalosa. Take your pick.
    Gerry Penalosa wins via SD

Comment

Yeah, Rafa's style is perfect fit for the slugger/counterpuncher Gerry Penalosa. BUT Rafa is waaay too BIG for Penalosa, at fight time vs. Pastrana, Rafa weighed in at a whopping 132 lbs!

I say he takes on ex-WBC flyweight champ Chartchai Sasakul as a warm-up for a possible showdown with ex-victim and current WBO bantam champ Sor Vorapin. Forget WBC Veeraphol Sahaphrom he's been overly protected, his team is aiming for a bantam record of 20 title defenses (he's at #14 now).

Comment

Originally posted by THRILLAinMANILA
        Gerry Penalosa wins via SD
        I Agree, but im waiting for Rey Boom Boom Bautista to take that challenge,but he's only 18 yrs old too young to face Rafael Marquez

Comment

Originally posted by nadz_melch24
          I Agree, but im waiting for Rey Boom Boom Bautista to take that challenge,but he's only 18 yrs old too young to face Rafael Marquez

Not yet. Keep him away from Rafa. He is too young, inexperienced, untested and should be properly molded just like the way Cotto was. Give him fights in the US for some int'l. exposure (outside Asia) against some journeymen just to build his confidence, then slowly increase the calibre of his opponents. In 2 years time, I think he'll be ready for the big time.
          Last edited by muay; 12-03-2004, 04:21 AM.

Comment

rafael is too big for gerry, but anything can happen in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by sean2079
              rafael is too big for gerry, but anything can happen in boxing
              yeah your right Sean, anything can happen in boxing, plus it will be a bigger payday for Penalosa....

but an easier road to win back the championship are againts the Thais...

Comment

I saw Penalosa fight once, back in '97. I thought he was brilliant.
                But, that was a long time ago, & Marquez is a bigger guy, in his prime, & packing some serious heat in his fists.
                I'd love to see Gerry as sharp as he was that lone night, years back. But, I have huge doubts that he can/will.

Comment

nevr seen dis guy fight
                  ill look for some of his fights
                  and then lay down my verdict
                  meeting is ajurned
                  "smashes his gaval on his desk"

Comment

go for it gerry!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X