Collapse
No announcement yet.

People must be blind when it comes to Chavez vs. Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was clearly a robbery, I dont question that at all. but some people go overboard and act like Chavez got a boxing lesson for 12 rounds straight. which is not the case at all, because Chavez was landing his fair share of right hands and body shots as well.

Im glad so many people seem to agree with the score of around 116-112.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      I've seen much worse than this (especially since it was a draw) but...that was a robbery. 8-4 clearly IMO.

Chavez had a good first two rounds but, after that, you could hear a pin drop in that arena for the next eight. Whitaker did a number on him. Considering the magnitude of the fight, the crowd reaction and even Chavez himself (initially), they all knew who won the fight. That makes it a robbery.
      Then JCC had the nerve to think he won but whatever so do alot of fighters who lose.

Comment

I thought it was an aweful decision. Chavez was schooled as far as i was concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
          it was clearly a robbery, I dont question that at all. but some people go overboard and act like Chavez got a boxing lesson for 12 rounds straight. which is not the case at all, because Chavez was landing his fair share of right hands and body shots as well.

Agreed - in fact, after the first couple rounds, it looked like Whitaker might be on his way to getting his arse kicked.

Comment

Actually 8-4 or 116-112 is getting schooled. Mind you a fighter can have a good showing and not get totally outclassed. If a fight is scored 8-rds to 4-rds one fighter got doudbled up in rounds won and **** don't look good. Of course like most have said it was a very clear win for Whitaker but at times in that fight he was schooling Chavez and at no point in that fight did Chavez school Whitaker IMO.

I feel people call it the worst robbery ever because of the magnitude of the fight like someone said earlier. You have to understand that was a fight between the #1 and #2 P4P fighters at the time. When you have a clear winner in fight like that but it is declared a draw you would get people calling it biggest robbery ever. The sports illustrated cover was perfect IMO. Whitaker was robbed of his well earned win. Biggest robbery ever no but biggest robbery in one of the biggest fights ever yes.

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
              Actually 8-4 or 116-112 is getting schooled. Mind you a fighter can have a good showing and not get totally outclassed. If a fight is scored 8-rds to 4-rds one fighter got doudbled up in rounds won and **** don't look good. Of course like most have said it was a very clear win for Whitaker but at times in that fight he was schooling Chavez and at no point in that fight did Chavez school Whitaker IMO.

I feel people call it the worst robbery ever because of the magnitude of the fight like someone said earlier. You have to understand that was a fight between the #1 and #2 P4P fighters at the time. When you have a clear winner in fight like that but it is declared a draw you would get people calling it biggest robbery ever. The sports illustrated cover was perfect IMO. Whitaker was robbed of his well earned win. Biggest robbery ever no but biggest robbery in one of the biggest fights ever yes.
              116-112=schooled? are you kidding me? guess that means that Pernell was 'schooled' by Trinidad, since he lost by more than 116-112.

it amazes me that a score of 115-113 can be considered a very close fight, while a score of 116-112 means that a fighter got schooled, even though theres only a one round difference between the two scores. that makes sense, right?

what a joke.

Comment

I would not call it a schooling. 8 rounds to 4 is a pretty competitive fight and as Irish said only two of Pernell's rounds were one-sided blow-outs.

Put it this way, if this was a schooling then over 50% of fights are also.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post

It's considered a huge robbery because it was such a high profile fight. Few people will remember Rabah/Urango or Augustus/Burton because of the fighters involved.

Whitaker and Chavez were the two best/biggest/whathaveyou fighters in the sport and Whitaker was clearly given a BAD decision. Say what you'd like but a guy clearly winning 8 rounds and then seeing a draw is a BAD robbery. If Mayweather was given a draw against Oscar it would have been a bad robbery.

Your point about it not being a shutout is correct. First few times I scored it I believe I gave Chavez 3...4 rounds at best.

Comment

Whitaker won 8-4 on my card, but I've seen much worse robberies. Lewis-Holyfield 1 and Escalera-Everett to name a couple of decision robberies.

Coggi-Gonzalez I takes out all the decision robberies, though. That's the most ridiclous robbery ever.

Comment

Whitaker won his rounds more clearly than Chavez did. Chavez's rounds were closer.

So although you can say it was 8-4 in terms of rounds, it seemed more one sided than a lot of other 8-4 type decisions because the rounds Chavez won were closer.

Comment

Working...
                      X