No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sauerland Event Open To Hernandez vs. Ross Rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sauerland Event Open To Hernandez vs. Ross Rematch

The buzz continues following the outcome of Yoan Pablo Hernadez’ controversial unanimous decision win over Troy Ross in their cruiserweight championship bout Saturday evening in Bamberg, Germany.

Hernandez was considered fortunate by many to have escaped with his lineal cruiserweight crown still intact after 12 hard-fought rounds with a determined Ross. Even the champion’s own promoter wasn’t in complete agreement with the final outcome.

[Click Here To Read More]

Rematch is warranted let's see if Hernandez will do what Cunningham wouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by RyunosukeRonin View Post
      Rematch is warranted let's see if Hernandez will do what Cunningham wouldn't
      Yes, it is without a doubt. This weekend was a boxing gift. Action everywhere you looked.

Comment

Rematch makes sense. Cruiserweight isn't too stacked with Tarver sidelined, Cunningham at HW, and Huck chasing Povetkin. Ross came so close, I look forward to a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
          Rematch makes sense. Cruiserweight isn't too stacked with Tarver sidelined, Cunningham at HW, and Huck chasing Povetkin. Ross came so close, I look forward to a rematch.
          I wish they would do a Ross/Hernandez, Huck/Povetkin doubleheader.

Comment

Even though I think the winner was the correct boxer, I scored 114-113 for Hernandez, I wouldn't mind a return. It was an exellent fight.

Comment

I think Ross won a close fight. I won't call it a robbery, but it was close to one. I also don't think Hernandez is or ever has been the lineal champ. Hernandez and Cunningham were, in my opinion, #s 3&4 respectively going into their 2nd meeting, behind Lebedev and Tarver, and #6&2 respectively (with Cunningham behind Lebedev, and with Hernandez also behind Tarver, Huck, and Afolabi) for their first. I don't think the Ring (which managed to torture their own rankings to create a title fight the second time around) even had Hernandez in their top 10 the first time.

I guess the author of this article, by saying Hernandez won the lineal title in their first fight, must believe that Cunningham was the lineal champion at that time. I don't know where he gets that idea. He obviously wasn't the lineal champion after Adamek beat him, so to assume he was in that position when he first fought Ross as the author claims, you'd have to assume that either Braithwaite, Ross, or Licina was a top 1 or 2 contender when he beat them. I don't think that's a credible statement by any measure.

The Ring title used to be pretty hard to separate from the Lineal title, but that hasn't been the case recently, since under Mike Rosenthal they've started demoting or removing fighters specifically so they can claim an otherwise good matchup meets their strict criteria for a Championship fight.

As you can tell above, I don't even think Marco Huck was a #1 or #2 fighter at Cruiser when the Ring made Hernandez Champ because he clearly lost to Lebedev in my opinion. But the Ring believed he was. Until they removed him for, without any indication that it was a permanent move, fighting a heavyweight. Accused of being short-sighted with that decision, they added Huck back into the rankings, but Rosenthal defended Hernandez as the legitimate champion by claiming essentially that, while it was a mistake to remove Huck, they would have demoted him for not fighting Cunningham or Hernandez in order to make that rematch a Championship fight. Just like an alphabet body would do. Nice.

So that's the end of my rant.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcianoFan View Post
                I think Ross won a close fight. I won't call it a robbery, but it was close to one. I also don't think Hernandez is or ever has been the lineal champ. Hernandez and Cunningham were, in my opinion, #s 3&4 respectively going into their 2nd meeting, behind Lebedev and Tarver, and #6&2 respectively (with Cunningham behind Lebedev, and with Hernandez also behind Tarver, Huck, and Afolabi) for their first. I don't think the Ring (which managed to torture their own rankings to create a title fight the second time around) even had Hernandez in their top 10 the first time.

I guess the author of this article, by saying Hernandez won the lineal title in their first fight, must believe that Cunningham was the lineal champion at that time. I don't know where he gets that idea. He obviously wasn't the lineal champion after Adamek beat him, so to assume he was in that position when he first fought Ross as the author claims, you'd have to assume that either Braithwaite, Ross, or Licina was a top 1 or 2 contender when he beat them. I don't think that's a credible statement by any measure.

The Ring title used to be pretty hard to separate from the Lineal title, but that hasn't been the case recently, since under Mike Rosenthal they've started demoting or removing fighters specifically so they can claim an otherwise good matchup meets their strict criteria for a Championship fight.

As you can tell above, I don't even think Marco Huck was a #1 or #2 fighter at Cruiser when the Ring made Hernandez Champ because he clearly lost to Lebedev in my opinion. But the Ring believed he was. Until they removed him for, without any indication that it was a permanent move, fighting a heavyweight. Accused of being short-sighted with that decision, they added Huck back into the rankings, but Rosenthal defended Hernandez as the legitimate champion by claiming essentially that, while it was a mistake to remove Huck, they would have demoted him for not fighting Cunningham or Hernandez in order to make that rematch a Championship fight. Just like an alphabet body would do. Nice.

So that's the end of my rant.
                Mostly agree, though not sure how you had Tarver so high, for beating the IBO cruiser/catchweight champ Danny the Legend Green.

I'm not sure how the scene ended up with YPH as champ, but you're right about the Ring. They had YPH and USS and 2 and 3, then idiotically removed #1 Huck just for announcing the Povetkin fight, despite Huck successfully appealing to keep his cruiser WBO belt, then promptly going back down afterwards. Guys like JMM get to not fight at their weight for 2 years, and remain ranked. But it's clear the Ring was intent on crowning a new champ, and this action is consistent with the moronic new championship policy.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  Mostly agree, though not sure how you had Tarver so high, for beating the IBO cruiser/catchweight champ Danny the Legend Green.

I'm not sure how the scene ended up with YPH as champ, but you're right about the Ring. They had YPH and USS and 2 and 3, then idiotically removed #1 Huck just for announcing the Povetkin fight, despite Huck successfully appealing to keep his cruiser WBO belt, then promptly going back down afterwards. Guys like JMM get to not fight at their weight for 2 years, and remain ranked. But it's clear the Ring was intent on crowning a new champ, and this action is consistent with the moronic new championship policy.
                  Nobody agrees with my Tarver ranking except me. I do realize that. But I think there was no way Green was anything but a top 10 cruiserweight when Tarver beat him, just based on the Flores win alone, considering Flores was at the very least close to a top 10 fighter himself when they fought. Aside from Lebedev (or Huck if you think he beat Lebedev), Tarver was at that time the only cruiserweight to have a win over a top 10 opponent without also having lost to someone outside the top 5.

By the way, I do have to congratulate Sauerland for being honest. If he is as benevolent a force as he makes himself look here, I hope he'll use whatever influence he can to remedy the complete joke that is the judging his fighters benefit from. Nearly every major Sauerland card has at least one fight that is as bad or worse than this one in terms of controversial officiating.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcianoFan View Post
                    Nobody agrees with my Tarver ranking except me. I do realize that. But I think there was no way Green was anything but a top 10 cruiserweight when Tarver beat him, just based on the Flores win alone, considering Flores was at the very least close to a top 10 fighter himself when they fought. Aside from Lebedev (or Huck if you think he beat Lebedev), Tarver was at that time the only cruiserweight to have a win over a top 10 opponent without also having lost to someone outside the top 5.

By the way, I do have to congratulate Sauerland for being honest. If he is as benevolent a force as he makes himself look here, I hope he'll use whatever influence he can to remedy the complete joke that is the judging his fighters benefit from. Nearly every major Sauerland card has at least one fight that is as bad or worse than this one in terms of controversial officiating.
                    Ok, that makes some sense, though I wouldn't necessarily agree. Flores was kind of a bottom dweller, not really a legit top 10. I'm not even sure Green Flores was contested at 200, at least Flores may have had a financial incentive to come in lighter. Though I was impressed with Green's performance in that one, I wouldn't have had him top 5, and didn't think that sole win would put Tarver in the top 5. But I agree not many guys had even a single top 10 win.

Comment

Working...
                    X