Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Roy Jones vs Lennox Lewis? What if Roy won! Would he be best ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Roy Jones vs Lennox Lewis? What if Roy won! Would he be best ever?

In 2003 Roy chose to take on John Ruiz who was a smaller heavyweight at 6-2 and around 225 pounds.

What if Roy fought and beat Lewis? Would he go down as the best ever?

I know Jones in the post fight interview for the Ruiz fight said he would only stay at HW for a fight with Mike Tyson. Yeah Tyson was way past prime at the time, but that would have been a very good and highly recognizable name on Jones' resume. And it would have also been interesting to see how Jones would win or if Tyson caught Jones with a big shot how would have Jones taken it?

Yeah, beating Lewis, wow. That would have made him one of the best boxers in the history of the sport. Although he already is, i'm saying, it would have further made him one of the best to ever live.

Comment

Im a massive RJJ fan but he was never going to beat Lewis. If he had and the rest of Lewis' career had been the same then he would have been in included in all the debates

Comment

For Roy's sake, I am thankful that fight never did take place as Lennox most assuredly would've KO'd Roy in an explosive manner. Lennox had too much size, strength, and range for Roy to deal with...

Than again, had Lewis ko'd Roy back in '03, it might've been so brutal and vicious that Roy would've been denied return visits (and humiliations) to the ring like he has been doing ever since that victory over Johnny Louise.

Comment

Just included in the debates? Had Roy beat Lewis he would have to go down as the best ever. What fighter ever faced this disadvantage?

Roy - 5-11 193 pounds

Lewis - 6-5 - 250 pounds

I know its a impossible task, but just asking what if?

Comment

Roy would almost certainly be ranked in the top 10 p4p with a win over Lewis. He would not be among the very best though. Still too many holes in his resumée for that.

Comment

This is like asking if Paulie Maglinaggi KTFO Vitali Klitschko would he be the G.O.A.T, thats how realistic this question is.

Comment

People need to stop asking what if questions on these forums and start looking at the facts and build your opinions on what has happend not what might have!

Comment

No,but it would have given him a serious argument,though.

That said,Roy Jones wasn't a complete idiot,and he knew damn well what would have happened had he fought Lewis or any other puncher from the heavyweight division.Glass would have been shattered.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Roy would almost certainly be ranked in the top 10 p4p with a win over Lewis. He would not be among the very best though. Still too many holes in his resumée for that.
                    i understand the question is unrealistic, but here is another question.

The top 10 guys of all time who are 135 pounds, 160 pounds, 130 pounds, whatever there weight was. Did they ever beat someone 5 inches taller and 50pounds heavier? How can you not be among the best?

Ray Robinson never challenged anyone 50 pounds bigger and 5 inches taller and neither did Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns.

This kinda proves in order for Roy to get respect he would have had to do things that no boxer had ever done.

I mean Marvin Hagler was scared to move up a simple 15 pounds to take on Michael Spinks....so had Roy beat 6-5 250 pound Lewis...Im sure some would still rate Hagler over Roy based off wins over blown up Duran and Hearns which is way easier.

Wow it's shocking to see ppl saying if he beat Lewis he is still not top 10 or barely top 10. When those in the top 10 never took on a challenge like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X