Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Reflexes – Unnecessary For a Good Boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
    what you are talking about is not what are termed "reflexes". cetainly not from a cognitive psychology perspective anyway.
    That was the whole point of the post. That reflexes mean nothing, it's all down to the ability to anticipate movements based on visual cues, which itself is all down to experience.

Comment

I would suggest the converse of what you are saying might be more apt. That good boxers show fewer cues.
      It would also suggest that this creates a conflict between attack and defence training.
      They are symbiotic to an extent but this would mean to be successful you would need defence learnt on cues from an opponent (which will all vary), it would suggest therefor that set attacking drills and combo's are a bad practise to practice.

On a lighter note it would explain why a total novice I once saw fight at an amateur competition progressed so well with the weirdest style I’ve ever seen, it was essentially a two hand simultaneous jab whilst kind of jumping forward. Simply none of the other novices had ever been attacked in such a manner.
      An interesting analogy is to other games like poker where sometimes a lack of knowledge can actually be beneficial.

Thoughts and comments always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        With proper training the fight just happens..........Rockin'
        Great quote, well said.

Comment

i play alot of starcraft 2 as you play more and the more know what your supposed to do, you become faster at it.

lets say when your getting punched there's like 50 diff rent things you can do, but only 3 things that you should do, if you know what those 3 things are and how you plan to follow up that 1 of 3 things that your doing your going to be able to do those things in order alot faster then if you have to think about it.

myt point here is that with like many other things in boxing, its not a one size fits all things, there are many aspects involved in how well an athelete reacts to things.

good reflexes is an important aspect to a boxing as acceling in boxing along with many other sports isnt the extreme ability in one aspect but the extreme ability in a million and a half mole hills that build a mountain.
          Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-01-2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Whilst the eye movements of novices are inefficient, wild and unfocused, those of experts are extremely precise. Across a number of different sports, highly trained athletes demonstrate similar “visual search strategies”. Their eyes focus on fewer targets, jump around less, and they stay focused for longer periods of time than do the eyes of novices.
            Last edited by Hattie94; 04-01-2012, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X