Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of David Benavidez (Jose's kid bro) sparring pros at 15?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of David Benavidez (Jose's kid bro) sparring pros at 15?

Pavlik, Ishida, and now he's gonna spar Peter Quillin for his camp for the Winky fight.

Obviously, it shows he's got a lot of talent (and I heard Jose say he himself was sparring pros at 14 too). But damn....15 is 15.

Is it wise to accumulate wear and tear at such an early age?

Deferring this to the people who have sparred themselves. or just have opinion on this from their knowledge.
    Last edited by Porter's Dad; 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM.

Originally posted by Ottke's Twin View Post
    What do you think of David Benavidez (Jose's kid bro) sparring pros at 15?
    So what? Lots of Mexicans are pros at 15 yrs old. What's the big deal?

Child laws are stupid anyway they should be done away with. Nobody is working in coal mines anymore. Industrial Revolution is over make these little brats work for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
      So what? Lots of Mexicans are pros at 15 yrs old. What's the big deal?
      Not saying it was a bad thing, I'm not informed enough to say that; I was just deferring it for discussion.

I know lots of boxers started young, be it sparring or their actual careers. 15 just seems so young. And it's not like there's a need to get his career going so early (he fought on a card recently) Jose has endorsements and deals.

I just wonder about sparring with such big guys so early. You hear about how sparring does shorten fighters careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ottke's Twin View Post
        Pavlik, Ishida, and now he's gonna spar Peter Quillin for his camp for the Winky fight.

Obviously, it shows he's got a lot of talent (and I heard Jose say he himself was sparring pros at 14 too). But damn....15 is 15.

Is it wise to accumulate wear and tear at such an early age?

Deferring this to the people who have sparred themselves. or just have opinion on this from their knowledge.

have sparred
        obviously not enough to get an idea of what it's like being in there with a professional who is literally at work and practicing/working on his craft

will go off of the "knowledge"

jesse benavidez is, as you said, a young monster. he's evidently staying out of the amateurs because he is "too good." he's not even old enough to compete in the open division at this stage i believe.
        when you hit 16, if you are good enough, you can hit the open division and compete against grown men.
        i believe they are looking to go that rout, so as of right now he's not competing in the amateurs

these sparring sessions then are the most serious work he is getting. i wouldnt say it's going to be much worse on him than competing as an amateur in the open division, unless he's in there getting the hell beaten out of him in the gym.

i think it would be silly to send him right to the professionals without any amateur experience in the open class.

his dad is his trainer and i'd guess he's not going to allow his son to take a real beating. i remember hearing the father speaking one of the brothers being in the ring and sparring with yuri boy campas. i cant remember which

also, he's a big kid. he's even a little fat. lots of loose skin that will cause him lots of issues if he's going to box in a weight class. jose is 6'1" and i can see him being the middleweight champion of the world (after winning a belt at 147 or 154,) by the time he's 30.

losing weight like that takes years of hard work and diet. his skin may always be loose.

who knows jesse might be a heavyweight when he's done growing. he's got big hands.

i've seen him sparring a bit on tape. best fighter i've seen him in there with was his brother, and he was very good natured about letting jesse get off. when he turned up the heat you could see the gap.

give him time
        both brothers could very well be champions down the road

jose is the best prospect we've got in boxing. sillakh was up there, but that whale got harpooned.

Comment

I have sparred/still spar pro's

I don't think it's a big deal, this is how you get good. You can hit the mitts and bags all day, you can look quick and sharp shadowboxing and what not, but nothing prepares you for fighting quite like fighting. If he is getting that level of quality work in at a young age, he's going to go places.

All that other **** helps no doubt, and they are all necessary for training, but sparring is by far the number one most important thing. I have been in there with undefeated pro prospects and give them good work without even being in shape or doing road work much at that particular time just because of how relaxed I am because I spar as often as I can.

Wear and tear is nice and fine to worry about, but this is the fight game and you gotta fight first and foremost. We should all be so lucky to be sparring partners for world class fighters, at his age especially. Remember also sparring partners usually get paid a decent wage too, so he's getting more than experience.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            have sparred
            obviously not enough to get an idea of what it's like being in there with a professional who is literally at work and practicing/working on his craft

will go off of the "knowledge"

jesse benavidez is, as you said, a young monster. he's evidently staying out of the amateurs because he is "too good." he's not even old enough to compete in the open division at this stage i believe.
            when you hit 16, if you are good enough, you can hit the open division and compete against grown men.
            i believe they are looking to go that rout, so as of right now he's not competing in the amateurs

these sparring sessions then are the most serious work he is getting. i wouldnt say it's going to be much worse on him than competing as an amateur in the open division, unless he's in there getting the hell beaten out of him in the gym.

i think it would be silly to send him right to the professionals without any amateur experience in the open class.

his dad is his trainer and i'd guess he's not going to allow his son to take a real beating. i remember hearing the father speaking one of the brothers being in the ring and sparring with yuri boy campas. i cant remember which

also, he's a big kid. he's even a little fat. lots of loose skin that will cause him lots of issues if he's going to box in a weight class. jose is 6'1" and i can see him being the middleweight champion of the world (after winning a belt at 147 or 154,) by the time he's 30.

losing weight like that takes years of hard work and diet. his skin may always be loose.

who knows jesse might be a heavyweight when he's done growing. he's got big hands.

i've seen him sparring a bit on tape. best fighter i've seen him in there with was his brother, and he was very good natured about letting jesse get off. when he turned up the heat you could see the gap.

give him time
            both brothers could very well be champions down the road

jose is the best prospect we've got in boxing. sillakh was up there, but that whale got harpooned.
            Ah man, thank you for this. Just what I was looking for (and that rarely happens on NSB) - though I am a little confused by the references to him as Jesse? (I assume we're talking about the same kid - David).

Aside from my curiosity about his age, I remember reading a comment on his father's FB page where he said something like "some people don't agree with the way I do things with David but I know what I'm doing" - which got me thinking about whether it was the right strategy.

I guess sparring at the Wildcard is a helluva learning curve, and I guess wear and tear can accumulate from an amatuer career also anyway.

BTW, agree about Jose. He looks a fantastic prospect, the one I am as sure as one can realistically be in boxing of being a P4Per. I love watching his sparring vids, the kid is special (I like Sillakh alot but Jose has always excited me more).

David looks pretty darn good too. I saw the same sparring tape of Jose and David - Jose was definitely taking it easy.

Re David's weight - he used to be huge, I remember Seckback used to have videos of him when he was very pudgy. He's losing weight, gradually - every time I see new pics of him, he looks a few pounds leaner.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
              I have sparred/still spar pro's

I don't think it's a big deal, this is how you get good. You can hit the mitts and bags all day, you can look quick and sharp shadowboxing and what not, but nothing prepares you for fighting quite like fighting. If he is getting that level of quality work in at a young age, he's going to go places.

All that other **** helps no doubt, and they are all necessary for training, but sparring is by far the number one most important thing. I have been in there with undefeated pro prospects and give them good work without even being in shape or doing road work much at that particular time just because of how relaxed I am because I spar as often as I can.

Wear and tear is nice and fine to worry about, but this is the fight game and you gotta fight first and foremost. We should all be so lucky to be sparring partners for world class fighters, at his age especially. Remember also sparring partners usually get paid a decent wage too, so he's getting more than experience.
              Thanks man, good stuff.

Comment

He is here or Episode 2.

He is a light heavy and wants to go up to HW LOL.

He is tall for 15, taller than his bro who must be 6 foot 1?

Comment

Correction Benavidez is 5 11 according to Boxrec.

Comment

De La Hoya, Mosley,and Floyd did the same.I think they turned out just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X