Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Floyd Mayweather Jr really a PPV Draw? HBO Vice President Speaks Out!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Floyd Mayweather Jr really a PPV Draw? HBO Vice President Speaks Out!

Is Floyd Mayweather Jr really a PPV Draw? HBO Vice President Speaks Out!

In a recent interview with Mark Taffet, the Senior Vice President of HBO Sports, conducted by Lem Satterfield for AOL's fanhouse.com, Taffet spoke on many subjects. One of the subjects Taffet spoke out on was Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Taffet, who is highly respected in the Boxing world, was asked by the publication if Floyd Mayweather Jr. was considered a pay per view draw?

Not only did Taffet state that Mayweather Jr. was indeed a PPV draw, he also gave strong reasoning as to why. Taffet stated to the publication: "Floyd Mayweather is bona-fide superstar in the ring and out of the ring. Floyd has proven to be the No. 1 attraction in urban markets across America, and, over the past few years, Floyd Mayweather is also a major attraction across all demographics."

Taffet went on to explain how the facts spoke for themeselves, stating that Mayweather Jr. had been part of the biggest fights in the history of the sport. Such as fights like Oscar De La Hoya vs Mayweather Jr., which Taffet states generated a whopping 2.4 million buys. Taffet also stated that Mayweather Jr's recent fight with Juan Manuel Marquez did over one million buys. That fight became only the 5th non-heayweight title fight to hit over 1 million buys.

Mayweather Jr. also did very impressive numbers when he fought against Ricky Hatton. Taffet tells the publication: "Floyd Mayweather also generated 920,000 buys against Ricky Hatton in 2007. Mayweather clearly has proven his star status by generating the kinds of pay per view numbers that very few men in the history of the sport have ever generated."

Floyd Mayweather Jr. moving back to mainstream

NEW YORK -Floyd Mayweather Jr. drops into a seat in an upscale restaurant in the heart of Times Square, the weariness of an overnight flight written across his face.
    He's been on the move since his comeback victory over Juan Manuel Marquez more than two weeks ago, a brutally efficient boxing display that generated a staggering 1 million pay-per-view buys. There's been interviews, business deals, nonstop travel all over the country.
    And things are only about to get more hectic.
    Mayweather believes he's finally becoming the transcendent star that Oscar De La Hoya was, and that he was on the brink of becoming before a sudden and ultimately short-lived retirement two years ago. Mayweather may have danced with the stars and wrestled with the "Big Show," but he claims that was only a glimpse of what the future holds.
    There's a reality TV show in the works, and Mayweather talks about landing movie roles and guest spots on sitcoms. His boxing legacy has long been secured, but he is just beginning to move into an entirely new echelon of sports entertainment, the stratosphere first achieved by Michael Jordan and where LeBron James and Tiger Woods now reside.
    "I wonder, 20 years from now, what are they going to say?" Mayweather said Tuesday, during a meandering conversation about his life and future. "What are my grandchildren going to say?"
    It's likely that they'll first talk about what he did in the ring, because it's impossible to discount. His megafights against De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton were among the most lucrative in the sport's history, and his six titles in five weight classes have become one of the benchmarks of success in a profession in which victory is the only measure of greatness.
    When the discussion drifts back toward James and Woods, Mayweather's adviser and close friend, Leonard Ellerbe, points out that perhaps the unbeaten boxer is already their equal.
    He's spent about 30 minutes in the ring during each of his last three fights, Ellerbe reasons, and generated close to $300 million in total revenue. Break that down and he's far more lucrative than either of those sports superstars on a per performance basis.
    "Once you reach this level that Floyd's at, he's hands down the best," Ellerbe said. "Can you just imagine if boxing was a mainstream sport, and we had the same opportunities that the NBA does, that the PGA Tour does?"
    After all, the bulk of income for the top tier of athletes comes from endorsement deals, which aren't as readily available to Mayweather and other fighters. As boxing has increasingly become a niche sport, the opportunity to pitch products has dwindled.
    "When you look at Floyd, he can generate $30 million or $40 million or $50 million in one night," Ellerbe said, "and that's just plying his craft."
    Mayweather has never wanted to be only about boxing, though. It's the reason he agreed to do "Dancing With the Stars," why he's been a repeated guest of World Wrestling Entertainment, and ultimately the reason he took an overnight flight to New York this week.
    Mayweather plans to meet with a variety of people to discuss entertainment options and business ideas, although he's just as evasive discussing details as he is standing in front of an opponent. Ellerbe tries to give some sense of how big Mayweather can become away from the sport, considering he only plans to fight once or twice a year, but is also short on details.
    "It's going to be huge," Ellerbe said when asked about the reality show, which he claims is in the early production stages. Pressed further, Ellerbe said simply, "The concept is going to blow your mind, it's going to blow your mind."
    Mayweather says he doesn't know who he'll fight next, hasn't even thought about it. He's not waiting around for the winner of Manny Pacquiao's highly anticipated fight against Miguel Cotto next month, which most people consider the natural opponent, and he isn't ready to jump into the ring with Shane Mosley, regardless of how often the welterweight champion calls him out.
    He'll be back in the ring sometime early next year, but for now, he has other business to handle — the business of being Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    "I sit back and think sometimes, God doesn't want me to lose," Mayweather said, referring to both boxing and life in general. "I believe that in my heart. Every morning I thank God for what I have, because God doesn't make mistakes."

Comment

Floyd is not a draw and JMM is a bigger draw than hatton thats why pbf v jmm did better than pbf v hatton. In all of his fights except for judah and baldimor, his opponent has been the draw. Hes not entertainign at all I dnt who would watch a realty show with him in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalion View Post
        Floyd is not a draw and JMM is a bigger draw than hatton thats why pbf v jmm did better than pbf v hatton. In all of his fights except for judah and baldimor, his opponent has been the draw. Hes not entertainign at all I dnt who would watch a realty show with him in it.
        Yeah...pretty much that.

Comment

they had 6 months to promote this fight and they did it on a mexican holiday....

Comment

how long do they usually premote fights?

Comment

He knows how to promote his fights + He picks to fight fighters that can help him bring in huge amounts of fans = He's considered a draw.

Comment

give Floyd his props and stop hatin'!!!....men lie women lie numbers don't!!.....everybody says Floyd isnt a draw.....he's boring and blah blah blah......but those PPV numbers are sayin' something totally different!!.....maybe its time for the haters to take a bow......I don't even root for Floyd like that.......but I'll admit that he's boxing's PPV King!!

Comment

Mayweather has learned how to spot the money making opponents. His opponents always have a large following, but they generate most of their largest PPV numbers when they fight him. Marquez is a big draw but he didnt do numbers like that when he fought Pac. Mayweather has become the perfect villian, everyone tunes in to see him get his ass kicked

Comment

Originally posted by Kalion View Post
                    Dumbass post bro...

Comment

Working...
                    X