Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Alan Minter never get a rematch with Hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minter was smart enough to know when it was time to call it a day....he'd already had a long, hard career, had hit the big '30' and Hagler beat him with plenty to spare.

Alan had some good money in the bank and had lots of options beyond boxing by that point.

I've briefly had the pleasure of meeting Alan at a corporate event and he's genuinely not the sort of bloke to duck any kind of challenge - and when he spoke to us there's no doubting the fact that the loss to Hagler loss hurt - but at the same time he was completely realistic about where his career was heading and how good Hagler was.

An intelligent, proud and honest guy. Bit of a shame that some people find it necessary to slag off such a good fighter who only bowed out to a legend. Alan was not an ATG but he got to the top and won a proper belt. Bit of respect for AM would not go amiss!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      scott; .... so what! What difference does it make who the champ is what I stated is true!
      boxing bob has it dead on the fight was nothing to rematch anyway!! Minter was a decent guy but he was not in the same leaque as Hagler. The guy had no pop at all, he had good enough skills but when you step up you better have some power!!! He didn't! Ray.

are you serious? he pointed out that you blatantly contradicted yourself and instead of just admitting it you go on this nonsensical rant?

you have 99 problems but i bet a bitch ain't one.

Comment

My guess is there was a no return clause in the contract! The Champ should have a return if he's defeated but challengers aren't offered that luxury. Ray
        Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Minter was the defending champion.
        scott; .... so what! What difference does it make who the champ is what I stated is true!
        It should be illegal to be this stupid.

Comment

Getting butchered by Hagler, decisioned by Hamsho, and then destroyed by Sibson- within about a year's time.....and you're asking why he didn't get a rematch with Hagler?

He couldn't have deserved one less and I'll bet his desire for one wasn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
            Minter was smart enough to know when it was time to call it a day....he'd already had a long, hard career, had hit the big '30' and Hagler beat him with plenty to spare.

Alan had some good money in the bank and had lots of options beyond boxing by that point.

I've briefly had the pleasure of meeting Alan at a corporate event and he's genuinely not the sort of bloke to duck any kind of challenge - and when he spoke to us there's no doubting the fact that the loss to Hagler loss hurt - but at the same time he was completely realistic about where his career was heading and how good Hagler was.

An intelligent, proud and honest guy. Bit of a shame that some people find it necessary to slag off such a good fighter who only bowed out to a legend. Alan was not an ATG but he got to the top and won a proper belt. Bit of respect for AM would not go amiss!
            Nice Post, and I can vividly remember a few days after the fight Minter saying, 'I was way off peak, but tbh he'd have still done me over at my very best'.

Irespective of his profound honesty, Alan's thuggish army of fans put paid to any hope of a rematch by pelting Hagler and his seconds with everything bar the kitchen sink..

Comment

Maybe Minter could have found his way to lets say..........the Boston Garden!
              Heres a guy who had some boxing skills but was intimidated against Hagler.
              Not the best chin either I think he was stopped 7 out of 8 losses!
              Not a great win for Hagler he was a heavy favorite against a guy with to much "home cookin'"!! Ray.
              Most of the stoppages on Minters record were due to cuts not a weak chin,check your facts

Comment

@ Mickey Malone....

Agreed mate. Alan struck me as a very honest, intelligent man who knew that he'd met his match. He didn't particularly like it but was smart enough to know that Hagler was the new boss (and an exceptional one at that) and that his own career was on adownward trajectory.

He told the boxing nuts in the audience that he actually viewed his fights with Finnegan as his best performances, even above beating Artufemo, and that Finnegan was an increbible fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
                  @ Mickey Malone....

Agreed mate. Alan struck me as a very honest, intelligent man who knew that he'd met his match. He didn't particularly like it but was smart enough to know that Hagler was the new boss (and an exceptional one at that) and that his own career was on adownward trajectory.

He told the boxing nuts in the audience that he actually viewed his fights with Finnegan as his best performances, even above beating Artufemo, and that Finnegan was an increbible fighter.
                  Yes my friend, indeed he was.[honest and smart]
                  Don't know if you can shed any light on this, but about 30 years ago, i recall sitting on a train travelling to London for a night out. I was reading ''Boxing News'' [when Harry Mullen was the editor] when a fellow boxing fan sat down opposite and asked my opinion on then welterweight prospect, Mark Breland..
                  During the course of our conversation, the fella mentioned that he was from Crawley [Minter's home town] Do you know him, i enquired.. Yeah he's a nice bloke, came the fella's response.. Just a shame about the rest of em, he went on.. And started to elaborate, telling me how his father and brothers were an awful shower that lived off of his reputation,[and out of his wallet]while representing Alan in the worst possible way.. Baddest of the bunch apparently, was the old man, who liked a drink,was banned from every pub in Crawley and largely responsible for instigating the riot which occurred at the end of the Hagler fight..
                  Not being a regular commuter, i never saw the fella again, and whether he was talking crap, telling the truth or just prone to exaggeration, i could'nt really say.. But if genuine, It only tells us about the irony of yet another fighter from a dysfunctional background..But just as a point of note [and further irony] - Alan's dilligence and honesty was plain to see, and during the early 80's after he'd retired, ITV picked up on it and he began to forge a successsful 2nd career as a pundit on fight night where he became a regular fixture alongside Jim Rosenthal and Reg Gutteridge.. If my memory serves me correctly, he was covering 1 of Chris Pyatt's European title defences, vs a guy with a ridiculous handle bar moustache, think his name was John van der Elterton.. Well, he was absolutely diabolical, and because it was for 1 of his old titles he'd fought his guts out for [vs French muscleman, Gratien Tonna] Minter became incensed, and let the F word slip and tbh, it's the last anyone saw of Alan Minter ever again.. Not a word in the papers- nothing.. really really strange.. Like he'd died and they buried him on the spot.. Infact, i may even do a thread- wtf is Alan Minter [btw, got no question mark key]
                  Last edited by mickey malone; 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Minter did not want a beating and Hagler didn't want another beer shower.

Comment

@MM

Stories about Alan's difficult background are pretty legend in that part of North Sussex....he came from a hard background.

But AM remains a bit of a legend in the area and was extremely likeable, funny and honest during the brief corporate gig I attended.

As a Sussex boy it is kind of good to have had MW world champions from Crawley and Brighton during my lifetime. We're a small county and hardly a boxing hotbed!!

Comment

Working...
                      X