No announcement yet.

Why Pirog isn't fighting in the US revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    In retrospect, yes. At the time he was a blown up interim jmw title holder with Bunema as his best win. So maybe that helped keep PWill near the top after the KO, but it's perplexing how he got there in the first place.
    Martinez was the full WBC Jr middleweight champ. It was upgraded some time after the Cintron fight. And Cintron was his best win (not officially, but it's a commonly recognized robbery), especially again sort of in retrospect because Cintron when on to beat Angulo in his next fight (this happened before Martinez Williams I), which got Cintron rated #1 at jr middleweight.

Williams vs Martinez I was a great fight and it sort of made it obvious they were two of the best fighters in the division. And Martinez going on to beat Pavlik solidified that opinion. I don't think it's that perplexing.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 12-27-2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      Martinez was the full WBC Jr middleweight champ. It was upgraded some time after the Cintron fight. And Cintron was his best "win" (not officially, but recognized as the winner by most), especially again sort of in retrospect because Cintron when on to beat Angulo in his next fight (this happened before Martinez Williams I), which got Cintron rated #1 at jr middleweight.

Williams vs Martinez I was a great fight and it sort of made it obvious they were two of the best fighters in the division. And Martinez going on to beat Pavlik solidified that opinion. I don't think it's that perplexing.
      If I remember right, PWill was ranked no2 at MW before the Sergio fight, pretty much for calling Pavlik out. I understand there was a dearth of talent at middle at the time, but getting a ranking like that usually involves beating some top 10 guys first. Same story at JMW. I mean, Margarito may have been a monster after all, but I didn't think decisioning him close gets you rated top 3 in the 2 divisions above.

Ward Augustus was also a great fight, Pemberton Sheika too. You know what wasn't a great fight: Martinez Cintron, that was a dog.

Comment

Why would he blame Al Haymon primarily and not list a single reason why in the whole article? He talks about everything else then just slips that in there. Not buying.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Why would he blame Al Haymon primarily and not list a single reason why in the whole article? He talks about everything else then just slips that in there. Not buying.
          It's not an article. They're just random forum posts from Montoya. And the Al Haymon quote comes from a different thread from the other quotes.

Comment

Working...
          X